Proper Jumping in Agility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renee&Jake

Super Boxer
For those of you that are interested in some Agility training, I wanted to give you some idea of proper jump training, in a 24" dog.

If you are doing this at home, you will need 3-5 jumps, which can be made with PVC - I made a set of 4 for $20. I think you can find a variety of plans at agilityboxer.com.

A dogs' stride is 3 times his jump height, so a 24" dog has a stride of 72" a 20" dog has a stride of 60" you will want 2 strides between jumps, so a 24" dog will need the jumps 144" or 12' apart, 20" dog needs jumps 120" or 10' feet apart.

The front feet leave the ground, the back feet push off the legs tuck up and under as the back arcs and head drops. This allows the dog to land with the front feet at almost the same time, at least 24" past the jump and the back legs untuck and land last.
This takes a lot of pounding off the front end, and helps prevent refusals and knocked bars.

In starting training, the jumps should be no higher than elbow height, and set with the bar on the landing side, so when it gets hit, it will fall off easily.

Set the dog in a wait 12 feet from jump #1, and walk to the end of the jumps. Call your dog "come" and before they reach each jump, call "Go jump" or "Go hup" or "over" (whichever command you have selected). When the dog reaches you, praise and release. If you need to, start with one jump at a time and work in the 2 -3 -4 sequence.

This also works well for teaching the go out, as your dog becomes more familiar with this conditioning, you can wait at the start line with your dog and call him out over 1 jump at a time. When you are getting them through 3-4 jumps with you at the start line, you are going to be leaps and bounds ahead of other classmates, if you take classes.

If you are just beginning Agility, I would not raise that bar more than 1 inch a week, TOPS. This is not an exercise to rush through and if you go too fast, your Boxer will begin to stretch out their back legs, risking injury. This process should take months, not days or weeks. Since Agility training in itself takes a year or more to prepare, you have plenty of time. If you have a trainer that teaches this, you are very lucky, most do not, and many dogs in agility do not jump properly, but instead "throw" themselves over.

Good Luck and Happy Training!

I will testify to the dog's "throwing" themselves over. I raised the bar too soon for Sayde Lynn and this is honestly what it looked like. She barely cleared them. Lexus is timid of jumping so I just walk her over them right now, on the lead....it's a long road ahead....Thanks for the info!;)

Kysha

Completely Boxer Crazy
Thank you so much for sharing this info with everyone, I was going to write something about this, but it would never have been as well written as yours!

Owen and I have been in agility for about two years, and I was in agility for two years before that with Tegan.

Owen is currently going through this at home and in class, we call it the Jump Chute. It teaches the dog how to jump effectively and safely. In most cases the dogs won't seek out the most effecient way of jumping, they will just do what ever they can to get over the jump!

Tegan never did the jump chute (before I had to retire her), and I really notice a difference between Tegan and Owen's jumping style. Owen is much cleaner and alot less energy is required of him to get over the jumps!

Owen is 24.5" at the shoulder and we are just starting to add in the 26" jumps while practicing (not jump chute). Before we started the jump chute he was a poor jumper and he would refuse all jumps that were 22", now he will jump 22" no problem.

Thanks again!

Renee&Jake

Super Boxer
The best jumping Info I have found is Suzanne Clothier's Natural Jumping Method.

She insists on 5 jumps, and 4 month lead time minimum to get through the exercises.

I was at agility trials this weekend, and I was suprised at how many dogs were popping jumps.

At first, I was just looking for better jumping tips for OB since Jakob has a dumbell in his mouth, but after buying the Clothier book, it will really benefit us in all jumping.

Kysha

Completely Boxer Crazy
I really like Suzanne's book too.

When we signed up for the jump chute program at our agility club, we all got a copy!

We haven't gone through the entire program yet, but I have already noticed a difference.

Where did you get your book from? Did you just order it online?

Was Jakob entered this weekend, or were you there as a spectator?

Owen and I are registered in K-9 Kup wich is a local sanction match that runs on a mothly basis, that all of the local agility clubs put together teams to compete. It's for new dogs only, anyone with a title is not aloud to compete. Owen's first sanction trial is next weekend (July 21st), I am already nervous!

It should be a hoot to watch all of the new dogs run!

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
What does it look like when a dog "throws" themselves over a jump?

I know I raised Pru's jumps too quickly but not sure what to look for when they jump. It's been a little over a year ago since she had classes (they didn't mention any of this in class :rolleyes: ) and at least a month ago since we even practiced a jump but would like to know what you look for.:)

Renee&Jake

Super Boxer
When we signed up for the jump chute program at our agility club, we all got a copy!

Your'e very lucky! You must have a good instructor!

Where did you get your book from? Did you just order it online?

J & J dog supplies
Was Jakob entered this weekend, or were you there as a spectator?

We were entered, and picked up his first standard leg (jumpers was terrible! Me not the dog)

Owen's first sanction trial is next weekend (July 21st), I am already nervous!

Best of luck!

Kysha

Completely Boxer Crazy
Congrats to you and Jakob!!

One thing that I have learned is that 9 times out of 10 it's the handlers fault!!

I hope to have at least one leg on Owen by the end of the year, as soon as I can bite the bullet and enter him, and get over my fears!!

I will keep you up to date on our slow progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.