1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Professional Handler

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by jksjkc, Oct 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jksjkc

jksjkc Super Boxer

Hi All,

Butch's breeder received pictures of him and made comments on how great he looks and how she wished we lived closer (she's in Ohio, I'm in NJ) so she could show him.
    However, I found a handler who was recommended by a friend of mine who shows her Viszlas (sp?). We have an appointment on Thursday.
    She said she'd be totally honest with me so we don't waste our time and money. Also, we are going on vacation from Oct. 27th-Nov.11th, so she will be kenneling him and working with him.
    To make him look his best, what are your suggestions? I bought the whitening shampoo for his flash, he'll be groomed and conditioned. Any pointers out there, any tricks you all do to make the dog look amazing?

2. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

I wouldn't obsess too much about grooming him beyond trimming his nails and giving him a bath -- the handler's going to be looking at head, structure, movement, and overall temperament, most likely.

A good handler can tell if a dog is a natural, or will need more coaxing to get a show attitude -- generally it's easier to calm a dog down than rev one up, which is why they tend to like a wild child more than a sweet pussycat. But there are sweet dogs that move beautifully and perk up in a show ring, so the handler will take the dog out on a leash and see what he's got.

Assuming the dog is competitive in head and body, it will be the attitude that probably makes the biggest difference for the handler as to whether they're interested in living with/showing the dog.

3. Darbysmom1

Darbysmom1 Super Boxer

How did the appointment go? How old did you say your puppy was? how did your puppy and the handler feel about each other? A good resource too is your breeder should know a good handler in your area. I only show on the west coast but I know good handlers through out the country. Even know our country is big the dog show world is pretty small.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.