Problem with TOTW bison & venison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasmo

Boxer Pal
Hi all,

I am bringing my new pup home (6 months old) this weekend, and I was going to order the Taste of the Wild bison and venison food from Amazon, which has a good price and free shipping, as I would like to switch her onto a grain free food. However, they've now posted the following:

Item Under Review

While this item is available from other marketplace sellers on this page, it is not currently offered by Amazon.com because customers have told us there may be something wrong with our inventory of the item, the way we are shipping it, or the way it's described here. (Thanks for the tip!)

We're working to fix the problem as quickly as possible.

Has anyone out there had any problems? Many people on here feed the TOTW to their boxers, and I was also wondering if there are any concerns about it being produced by Diamond, who has had problems in the past.

Thanks for any input on this!

LILYLARUE

Boxer Insane
I was a huge advocate for TOTW - UNTIL all four of my dogs got very ill from a tainted bag......of course, two weeks before the actual recall of the food (which they deny any dogs getting sick off the food, though they received complaints from numerous people I know). Since they appeared to me to be less than honest, I switched to Earthborn and won't ever go back to any Diamond Product or TOTW produced in other plants.

As for buying food off of Amazon, I would highly suggest against it. Often the food is being cleared by a distributor, which is questionable why they will sell the stock at a discount - are they over-stocking? is it close to expiration? has complaints come in on a specific batch and they are depleating by selling on Amazon (Ebay)? If the food is tainted, expired or even just a bad batch, who are you gonna return it to? You will have to pay for the return shipping.

I would just buy the food, with coupon, from a store that will take it back if a bad bag. Bad bags do happen for many reasons: wasn't stored properly by the distributor or store, the temps in the warehouse were not up to standard for the food, oils in food break down causing a greasy, blackish tint to the kibble.

Now, I will only trust independent food manufacturers that product their own, not sent to other factories.

whiskers

Boxer Insane
There are concerns about it being produced by Diamond, yes. I used to highly recommend TOTW, I work at a specialty pet food store and that was always my "go to" brand if I thought a dog/cat needed to be on something grain-free, but the owner didn't want or couldn't afford super expensive foods.

Ever since the recall, I just don't recommend it anymore. Diamond has had more than 1 issue with contaminated food so to me it's just not worth it to chance it with their products. TOTW is a good food, but unfortunately the company manufacturing it is not so good... in my opinion.

If people want something similar to TOTW, something grain-free that won't break the bank, then I recommend Earthborn Holistic. Most of the time though, unless a dog NEEDS to be on grain free due to allergies or something, I recommend Fromm - their Gold line and Four Star line are awesome. They do have grains but you know... sometimes I would rather see a food with some high quality grains like barley and brown rice, rather than a grain-free food that is loaded with peas and potatoes instead. (Fromm does have grain-free formulas but they can be a little pricey).

Plasmo

Boxer Pal
I brought her home last night, and she's eating Iams dry and was getting a few spoons of Pedigree canned. I'm going to the local pet store tonight to pick up something better and start the transition...

Thanks for the comments!

Status
Not open for further replies.