probiotics or digestive enzymes? same thing....or different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
I've been doing a lot of reading about pancreatitis since Bentleys bout of it. I have both the dogs on a Pro&Prebiotics powder supplement. My question is though, I keep reading about digestive enzyme supplements for dogs with pancreatitis. Is this the same as the probiotics? I don't think so, but I can't seem to find a clear answer. Bentley is doing great and we haven't had anymore issues. He's still on his special food, but I intend on keeping them both on the supplements, I just want to make sure I have Bentley on the right one.

His vet isn't much help on this issue. I called to ask about it and he says "well, why do you want to keep them both on probiotics after the antibiotics?" Lol they thought when Arabella was going through mange treatments putting her on vitimin c and supplements was the funniest thing....

I love them as my babies Dr but when it comes to this kinda stuff, its not their "thing"

So I was just curious if anybody knew the difference (if there was one) and would the enzyme option be better for Bentley?

luvmyboy

Boxer Insane
No - they really aren't the same. Pancreatic enzymes are lipase, protease & amylase, which are essential in the process of metabolizing food. Lipase is needed for appropriate fat metabolism... Probiotics are live microorganisms that help restore or provide balance to the flora (presence of correct bacteria) in the intestinal tract. Hope this helps.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
What the PP said. The probiotics will help to restore and maintain the right balance of good bacteria in the gut (people often have issues with this as well, especially after using antibiotics). The digestive enzymes help aid in the digestion and absorption of nutrients from food. I used to have Thora on both but the digestive enzymes we have need to be stored in the fridge and DH kept forgetting to give them to her, so we just use the probiotic now. The good ones can get expensive but they can last for several months.

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
OK, thanks so much for helping me sort that out!!! I guess that worked itself out!! If the enzymes are only available through a prescription then I guess we will stick to the probiotics :) thanks you guys!!!

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
Pancreatic enzymes are different than digestive enzymes!!

OK....just when you think you got it! Lol..Is that a prescription supplement? I'm most worried about when we introduce a new food to him. I'd love to try him back on a normal food eventually. Not soon...but eventually, so I was kinda worried about him having another bout of pancreatitis when we attempt that. Until I know if this was a one time thing or if its going to be chronic, I want to tread lightly. He really is still doing very well, just want to be giving the right thing to him. The probiotics do really well for the dogs.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
Yes, pancreatic enzymes are a bit different than digestive enzymes. When Thora was having her digestive issues and horrendous colitis the vet had PanaKare in her cocktail of meds, which is a pancreatic enzyme. It actually worked wonders for her but she was only on it for a month or so per our veterinarian. I'm not sure if it is meant to be used as a daily supplement for lifetime management or not; you'd have to ask your vet. We got ours from our vet but you may be able to get them without a prescription. We saw almost immediate improvement when she was on it (she was also on Flagyl at the same time).

kcirishfan

Boxer Pal
Here's a quick question related to the topic...but are the tests that vets do for pancreatits different than how they would for colitis? I had posted a topic earlier regarding colitis, and suspect maybe it was misdiagnosed. I've been dealing with horrendous colitis for months now that comes in waves (currently in a bad wave)

Hopefully your pooch gets better soon!!

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Pancreatic enzymes, lipase, amylase and insulin, will be elevated in the blood work if pancreatitis is present. Pancreatitis is usually very painful and a dog with it most of the time will have a hunched appearance. (Kind of like a human curling up with stomach pain.) My boy never hunched and didn't even react half the time during a physical exam to show any pain. He amazed several doctors on how stoic he was. I knew he was hurting because he wouldn't lay down anywhere for long.

Status
Not open for further replies.