price increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizJudy

Boxer Booster
Trust me, we know that $800 isn't too much for a healthy pup, especially one from his bloodlines...but...we were quoted $600. While we understand that we are doing quite well at $800 - for a health tested, pure bred, champion bloodlined, beautiful boxer puppy, I guess we were still thinking/expecting the lower price. So, knowing $800 is not too high, but having expected, and budgeted, for less, should we ask her if she might honor her original price or if she could work out a compromise? Should we just pay the new price? Has anyone been told one price and then had it raised? Any suggestions?

It is very frustrating when you are trying to budget for something and you think it's all dealt with and then it changes on you! This has never hapened to me but I don't think it would hurt to ask. The reason we try and find these better breeders is also because they are better at working through problems with us. I'd just say you were given a $600 price and now you've noticed they are $800. Why the increase or does she still plan on giving you the price she originally said. You never know her vet fees may have been more than she thought so she upped it. I would think she would give you the original price, that would be the "nice" thing to do but you'll never know unless you ask. Good luck and let us know what she says.

Valantar

Boxer Insane
MizJudy said:
Has anyone been told one price and then had it raised? Any suggestions?

That happened to me when we bought Samson. We were quoted one price and then the price changed when he was ready to come home by $150. I didn't say anything... just paid the new price, but it might not hurt to ask your breeder.

abby's mum

Super Boxer
In Ontario and surrounding (my pup was from Ohio) $1500 is the norm. If your are in the City such as Toronto I know of a breeder thet her pets are $2500. I also have to say, don't take this the wrong way but - if you have budgeted for $600 and $200 is causing such stress, maybe you should rethink buying a dog. Vet bills can run up pretty quickly - an allergic reaction including a trip to the emergency vet cost us around $600. My SIL's dog just got attacked and injured his eye costing around $1500. Abby had to have eye surgery for a cataract and that was $2500. Just remember that there are a lot of other costs than the cost of the puppy.

Last edited:

MizJudy

Boxer Booster
abby's mum said:
if you have budgeted for $600 and $200 is causing such stress, maybe you should rethink buying a dog.

I never meant to imply that $200 was a strain. It's not, but I was just wondering if others who had gone through the buying process, could explain why the price jumped so much. We already own a dog, and growing up, several, so believe me, we understand the cost of dog ownership. The price increase, while keeping the price still low for a great dog, made me slightly curious about the breeder. Just wanted to know if anyone else had experienced it and if it might be a red flag. I'm sorry if we implied that we couldn't afford it, because we can... We've just never bought a boxer before. All my dogs were shelter rescues. My husband had boxers when he was younger though. We just want to make sure we are doing all that we can to get a healthy dog from a reputable breeder. We do NOT want to support BYB!

Checkers

Boxer Insane
If I was you id ask. Just say you were wondering why the price was raised :) She might give you the original price again, she might not. But at least you wont have to wonder anymore why ;)

Louie's Mom

Completely Boxer Crazy
It shouldn't matter if she had less puppies, because she shouldn't be making a profit off of the pups - and she shouldn't have to put back money that she spent that she doesn't have.

kassa

Boxer Insane
It shouldn't matter if she had less puppies, because she shouldn't be making a profit off of the pups

It's very, very hard to make a profit off puppies, but there's certainly no reason why a person "shouldn't" -- within reason, of course.

Conscientiously health testing and showing costs thousands of dollars. There are breeders who do virtually no health testing who command thousands of dollars -- I'm not talking about that kind of price gouging.

But asking for a little bit of a margin above expenses while keeping pups within the price range of the average middle class family is a good goal.

Gemflies

Boxer Booster
I would ask, too! I understnad your pain! I was quoted one price and then it jumped 250 after birth. The dam had to have a c-section for the last 3 pups, she had 9. I had already put down my deposit. But I politely showed her my receipt and told her that we have a contract. Yes I know that the c-section was unforseen, but then she shouldn't have given me a definite price but a price range, for incidentals. That's what happens when you put a deposit down, before the pup. The parents just looked so good, they were tested, had a very a good contract, and i really was impressed with the breeder and recommendations, that i couldn't wait.

But the breeder was nice and cut back $100, for me, just told me not to tell! :LOL:

900 to 1150 after polite conversation=1050

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.