price increase

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizJudy

Boxer Booster
My DH and I have been in contact with a breeder since late March while her dog was still pregnant. The dam has given birth (4/17) and there were five puppies. One is staying with the breeder and one is going to the sire's breeder. So that leaves three. One female and two males. When we spoke to her in late March, she told us that this litter should run around $600. Well, last night I looked at her website and she has them listed at $800!! :eek: Why the big jump?? My husband and I budgeted approximately $600 for our baby, then we budgeted tons more for all the new puppy stuff and the unexpected. My DH is upset and wants to call and talk to her. I want to know - is this common? Should we ask her to honor her original quote or compromise on a lower price? Anyone else out there experience this? Any thoughts on what to do?

Net45582

Banned
I imagine her first number was an estimate. Most breeders don't discuss pricing until most of the vetting has been done. $800 is still a great price if both parents have been health tested and the pups have been properly vetted and have good lines.

Marcus

Boxer Buddy
you think that's high:)

My husband and I were looking into breeders in NC and the average for a good breeder(one who tests the mom and dad and shows bloodlines etc) was $1000! My husband used to have an English Springer Spaniel and got her from a breeder (backyard). The dog only cost$250 but her vet bills were through the roof and she lived until 13! He justifies spending more on a good quality dog /breeder and (hopefully) not having so many bills from the vet! I guess we'll see.

Donna1969

Boxer Insane
I was quoted a price when speaking w/the Breeder and when I went to see the parents of the soon-to-be pups. There were no prices on her website. While talking w/her frequently throughout the breeding, pregnancy etc. she mentioned a price that was about $200 MORE than what she quoted me at. I mentioned to her that she had given me a different price and she said that around the time I left the deposit she had uped the prices..(not for me though since she had originally given ME the lower price)

It just might be that the breeder uped the price but your price still stands. I happened to keep my emails back and forth to the breeder so that anything that was in question could have been proved/disproved with the emails, but it was never in question.

Even at $800 if you are using a reputable breeder who health tests..thats a good price!

Net45582

Banned
LOL....I was just looking in the paper. LabraDoodle mutts are selling for $800. Do you still think $800 is too much for a Boxer?

richarc6

Boxer Booster
I am sure you will have many replies on the price issue. Our little Dempsey doodle was $1500. Truthfully, he wasn't that much more than most breeders I contacted. Not that this was a prerequesite, but both parents were champions which price indeed reflects. The breeders of course that did all of the health testing, etc.

Good luck to you.

Carolyn

Mom to:

Ali 2 yr brindle baby girl
Dempsey 5 month flashy fawn male

Ruckus 04/01-01/06 brindle love muffin

I would like to say that in California where I am, I wish I could find a puppy for $800 that's pretty much a "want add puppy" here, Not even a registered pup. For health tested, it's between about $1,400 and up. We found several in the $1,000-$1,200 range who were AKC but not really health tested, maybe Vet checked but that's about it. I would talk with your breeder and see if the original price still stands for you. It's a good investment even if it is more than you would like to spend. I tell Dh all the time when we see them playing or cuddling, that's worth $100, eventually the tab will be down to $0! Boxer love is money well spent!

pennylady

Banned
Donna1969 said:
It just might be that the breeder uped the price but your price still stands.

Even at $800 if you are using a reputable breeder who health tests..thats a good price!

AGREE!! AGREE!! AGREE!!

georgia

Boxer Pal
Georgia was $1500 Canadian last year. Worth every penny for a healthy puppy. I think that most breeders are able to charge quite a lot for puppies now a days. They are not guaranteed a litter size (Georgia was from a litter of 9) as well as the vet fees. Our breeder told us that she usually breaks even each year with very little profit.

sweetboxer

Banned
I would just check with the breeder and see what she says. The litter that I'm getting Raiden from is going for $1800. They're from health-tested parents who are champions, so even $800 isn't bad for a well-bred pup. Just ask and see what she says. You can always wait, although that's so hard to do!!

Status
Not open for further replies.