preparing for a puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunagirll

Boxer Pal
So I decided to get myself a boxer! I already found a couple of trustable breeders who have quality dogs and do regular health test. But before I get a puppy or even contact a breeder i want to make sure i've got eceverything prepared for a puppy and to make sure i'll be a good owner of a boxer, so iI decided to ask you first.

I've got a fairly big house and a big yard sourronded with fence and a bid garden. I plan that my dog will be always outside, only sleeping in house or only at summer because of my father's (not serious) allergies outside in a dog house (only at nice weather. If I find that dog is unhappy outside it will sleep im our house always). I do go to school and i won't be able to be with a dog the whole day, but it will never be alone. I volounteer at a horse club at all weekends (and everyday when there are school holydays) and I am able to take my dog with myself. I plan to walk everyday for atleast two hours a day with my friend and her dog, as I do now. I have enough time to train my dog regularly but unfortunately there aren't any obedience classes near so I hope that I will manage it myself with help of books and this forum. My parents already got a dog that I used to walk, he was quite aggressive and really poorly taken care of (my parents don' t really love and care for animald as I do) and I managed to train him atleast basics and really calmed his aggressipon when he was about six years old and I was eleven.

I don' really know what else to add, but ask me anything you want. I really want to make sure that I will be good enough owner for a little angel as I don't want it to end up like my parent's dog, poor creature. I already know all the equipment and costs for a puppy, and I really did all the possible homework on what type of dog I want (searched more than 30 breeds in detail and boxers are just perect) and read many articles on behavior and traing, but also health issues. I wont stop reading up on everything that I have to know.

Thanks already and sorry for the long post

Bathel

Super Boxer
Are you planning on being outside with the puppy all the time too? Boxers are very much social and family dogs. S/he will be unhapp if left outside to her own "entertainment".

Cami

Boxer Insane
Boxers are NOT outside dogs....dog house or not.
They can't regulate their temperature like other dogs with longer snouts. They overheat very easily and don't police themselves. They can easily suffer from heat exhaustion. They also can't take cold temps. Their short coats and lack of fat as an insulator are to blame (*most* Boxers not all.... there are some that are fat).
Pups FOR SURE can't be left outside alone.
Dogs in general that are left outside unsupervised can develop all sorts of behavior issues.
Re-think your decision to bring a Boxer into your life if you are planning on having an outside dog.

hurleygirl

Boxer Booster
Lunagirl, glad you made it overto the "BoxerRing". Boxers become very close to their owners, so unless your not the kind of person that want a dog following you around the house, maybe this breed is not for you. Seems like all the boxers I've had have had to be near or touch me in someway. Like if I'm sitting on the couch my LuLu either has her paws or head on my feet. They are such a "human" oriented dog that it would be a tragedy to keep one outside. I hope you will rethink the outside thing.

jcbobo

Boxer Buddy
I am definitely no expert as I have only owned a boxer for a few weeks. My boy is 10 weeks today. I would really think about the inside outside dog thing. I live in Texas and it's HOT. My pup tells me when he's had enough and will go sit by the back door so he can go inside and lay on our cold hard floor. Once he goes to that door, there is no Convincing him to cine back sbd play. Hes hot and hes had enough...and i listen! I've always felt like a dog outside isn't part of the family because they are always seperated from the family. That's just my personal opinion. We wanted a family member, something that would be by our sides always.... And that's exactly what we got! He is never out of eye sight of us. Even when he is sleeping, if he hears us move he opens an eye and if he can't see us he will get up and go lay somewhere he can see us again . I don't know how he gets much sleep like this. If here put him in his crate when hea napping he doesn't do this though.

My husband and I did a lot of research trying to find a breed that's a perfect fit for us. Although I think our boxer was a perfect fit, nothing could have prepared us for how big of a handful a puppy is!! I could not do this without my husband. Raising this baby is a team effort for us. If you are wanting to get a puppy I would definitely say talk to somebody that has gone thru the puppy rearing of a boxer specifically. We have an extremely hyper puppy with a huge personality...that we would be totally misding out in if he were an outside dog. He is a lot of work! But definitely worth it!

If u do get a boxer puppy, be prepared to be with him anytume he is outside At least until he gets older. We cannot let our puppy out by himself because he wants to eat everything!! He has to explore everything with his mouth. We are constantly digging sticks, bark, bugs, rocks, dirt...etc out of his mouth. I can't imagine him actually swallowing that stuff.

Good luck and talk to experienced boxer owners before you decide. This site has helped me a lot! I'm a newbie but I can vouch for how much attention, and air conditioning, a puppy needs!!!!

lunagirll

Boxer Pal
It seems that I didn't said it well enough. I was thinking that a dog will always be outside WITH US as I think that it's healthier and better for both dog and us to be outside, and the dog would have time to run and play all it wants. It will be in house if we are in house. I didn't even think about leaving a dog alone at any time, especially outside, there will always be someone with it. I didn't knew boxers REALLY like to be inside the house as i heard they are hyper breed. I was thinking about sleepind outside because I thought that it would be healthy for the dog to spend some nights out in fresh air. I never even thought about leaving a dog outside when sit was a puppy, or especially not when it was too hot or cold.

And to give you some other answers:

Bathel: As I said, I do plan on being outside at all times with it and not letting the dog alone. I really can't even stand to see a dog unhappy, especially such a cutie as a boxer.

Darby White: I think I already gave answer to this too, the dog is NEVER going to be alone, and now that I know it isn't allright for it to sleep outside I'll make sure it gets a most comfortable corner of our house :)

Cami: Thank you for the information, I will make sure to watch when it's too hot or cold to not exhaust my dog and not walk it so far as I plan to do when it's nice time.

hurleygirl: Thank you for all your help already. That's EXACTLY what I want: a dog that will follow me everywhere to the point I can't get rid of it haha

jcbobo: You must really be happy with such a great dog! Thank you for the information, I will try to find someone who has raised a boxer, I've seend quite a few boxer owners in my neighbourhood and I think it shouldn't be too hard.

I hope this cleared it all up. I'm really happy that I posted here as it seem that when it comes to boxers you really can't overread about them.

hurleygirl

Boxer Booster
Aaaahhhhhh that makes me feel better. Croatia does have beautiful weather and I'd be outside all the time too. Sorry for the mix up in translation.

lunagirll

Boxer Pal
Nah I'm probably guilty for not explaining it that well. I know that Croatia has quite nice weather, but sometimes it can come to boiling 40°C or freezing -20°C and even I am not in the mood to go out at that time, but those temperatures really don't happen often.

larrygs

Super Boxer
It seems that I didn't said it well enough. I was thinking that a dog will always be outside WITH US as I think that it's healthier and better for both dog and us to be outside, and the dog would have time to run and play all it wants. It will be in house if we are in house. I didn't even think about leaving a dog alone at any time, especially outside, there will always be someone with it. I didn't knew boxers REALLY like to be inside the house as i heard they are hyper breed. I was thinking about sleepind outside because I thought that it would be healthy for the dog to spend some nights out in fresh air. I never even thought about leaving a dog outside when sit was a puppy, or especially not when it was too hot or cold.

As others have said, boxers are extremely people oriented. You will find that boxers are always engaged with you, or leaning on you, or sleeping with you, or following you, or otherwise trying to get your attention. It will almost always be wherever you are. It it isn't in sight, it is your signal to find it, because it is very likely doing something it shouldn't. :LOL:

It will not want to sleep outdoors if you are indoors.

While they are energetic dogs, they are medium size and do quite well inside. This assumes they are trained, with people, not bored, and getting enough exercise. We have had boxers when living in apartments.

Back to your original question about preparation. While it sounds like you have plenty of room, I recommend setting up a crate (indoors.) We have found crate training to be extremely helpful for training puppies, especially for housebreaking. It is important to introduce a crate as a good thing.

lunagirll

Boxer Pal
Thank you larrygs, I will make sure to find a nice crate... Where should it be? In a quiet corner of the kitchen/living room or somewhere else? And also any more suggestions? What else do I have to make sure I know before getting a dog? Anything I should read up on? Anything I need to buy besides the main stuff, collars leashes, toys...?

Status
Not open for further replies.