1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prednisone

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by BxrMommieNAZ, Apr 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

Does anyone have any experiences (good or bad) with giving Prednisone to their Boxer?

2. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

We only had to use it with our Weim when she was suffering from DM. The biggest negative was that she could not hold her urine as long (and sometimes not long enough to reach the door). She was only on it for a few weeks until we determined it wasn't helping.

3. kathysboxer

kathysboxer Boxer Insane

Tyson was on it for about a week. Didn't affect him any, thank goodness. But there has been quite a few posts about the urine thing. I think they drink alot more also.

4. BxrMommieNAZ

Yeah increased hunger and thirst (and therefor urination) is one of the side effects. Anybody have any real negatives though, like life long life altering kind of negatives? I don't really have much of a choice at this point, I've tried everything else and then some (even I thought some things were rediculous and it takes a lot to shock me LoL) and this rash hasn't gone away and it's been 4 months. Kind of out of options.

5. Caney Creek

Caney Creek Boxer Insane

Trimeprazine with prednisone made Caney aggressive. She was prescribed that for a rash on her belly (allergies) back in November and was supposed to take it for a week, but I weaned her off early because her behavior was so unnatural and downright disturbing when she was on this drug. After doing some researching online I found that aggression IS a documented side effect of trimeprazine with prednisone, however it is rare. The aggression is caused by the trimeprazine, not from the prednisone (prednisone alone is not known to cause aggression). When I was looking up this drug I came across one site that used the word "viciousness" instead of aggression in the list of side affects. Viciousness is a much more accurate description of Caney's behavior when taking this. It wasn't that the other dogs were bothering her; more like she was stalking them. :eek: It was bazaar.

She has been on prednisone (WITHOUT trimeprazine) for a week another time before that, back in August. That time she had no bad experiences, just the increased hunger, thirst, and urination which was expected.

BTW, the brand name of trimeprazine w/ prednisone is Temaril-P.

6. BxrMommieNAZ

Thank you. I'm getting it at a human pharmacy so it's just plain Prednisone as far as I am aware. i haven't seen the actual RX yet but that is what I was told by the vet so hopefully we won't have that issue. Fingers crossed!

Did the prednisone actually work for the rash on her belly? I ask because this is our problem too.

7. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

That's good to know. I had a foster on Temeril-P for kennel cough in November. She did very well on it, but I'll certainly be more watchful if it gets prescribed again.

We use a topical cortisone spray when Harley gets his rashes. It at least helps stop the itching.

8. BxrMommieNAZ

Oh yes I've used topicals, I've used Neem oil, coconut oil, Panalog cream (RX), ResiCort, regular hydrocortisone cream (spray and cream), tea bags, oral antibiotics, topical antibiotics, neosporin, diet change, Aloe Vera, Zinc (diaper rash cream), changed from a metal crate pan to a plastic one, washed bedding in nothing but water (in case it was from laundry soap), and I know I'm forgetting some stuff. I have literally tried a million and one treatments to no avail. It'll start to get better or part of it will get better and then get worse again. It doesn't seem to bother him, no itching, no pain that I can tell but it looks nasty (looks like a really bad sunburn...he's white) and had been going on since the middle of December now. I promise this was not a decision jumped to quickly and hasn't been made before trying a ton of other safer treatments first but nothing is working. The Neem oil worked the best but it's just not enough.

9. djheitz

djheitz Boxer Insane

:) I know from reading your posts you avoid the nastier meds. Predisone does seem to be the 'when all else fails' drug. I think as long as it's used for short periods, the side effects are also short-lived.

10. BxrMommieNAZ

Yes, I don't like meds period, but am okay with the more tame ones like an antibiotic here and there when warranted, Benadryl (which he has to take every morning right now or his nose runs ALL day with it heating up and the winds), my girl is on Soloxine and Tramadol I'm fine with those, but I only do meds after ALL else (within reason) has failed. My last "trick" was a diet change, even though he was on the food previously without issue I thought "maybe" so it's been chicken and rice for a few days which I know he's fine with and no change. I've struggled with this. We had to put our other Boxer on Pred when we first moved here as he broke out in hives and he was fine, I'm hoping we can have him on it for less than a week. Fingers crossed!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.