1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potty training help

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by Daisybaby, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Laylee

Laylee Boxer Pal

Thanks!

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Leaving your puppy downstairs will result in a very unhappy puppy. Boxers like to be near their people. Where they can smell and hear you. It is really best to have them in a small crate in your bedroom. You will have a much happier puppy and the house training will be much easier. You can transition him out of your bedroom later if you really don't want him there.

Good luck!

3. Laylee

Laylee Boxer Pal

Ok thanks! Will see how he does tonight (it's his 2nd night). I read that but didn't want to be guilt tripped into letting him in my bed. And the breeder didn't seem to mind when I said he'd be sleeping in the lounge?

I'm having potty training problems exactly like Daisy. Except he doesn't even wee outside. I know when/what times to take him out but when I do he just messes around outside. Eventually I take him back inside and then he does a wee or a poo (I've washed each area but I guess the pheromones are still there and he thinks it's his toilet?) Even if I take him back out mid wee/poo (and still make him hit the chimes on the way out) he doesn't get it and just refuses to go outside. I know the signals to look for and the key times to take him out but it doesn't help. He was 7 weeks yesterday so it's only our first day together and he'll get it eventually. I just wonder if I'm doing something wrong. Is there too much distraction outside so he thinks it's a play session? A post above said to ignore him when he's outside, but I have to keep saying "no" whenever he tries to eat the twigs, leaves, lavender, and mud so it's hard to ignore him!

It's also crap weather. So I'm guessing it's not great fun for him being out in it. After he's done messing about he starts trying to get warm against my legs etc.
    I was going to get a pheromone stick before we bought him home, but thought it'd be a waste of money. I've just put an offer on one on eBay so if I get it that should help.

4. Laylee

Laylee Boxer Pal

I forgot to ask, it might sound rank but, an idea I had was that next time he poos inside, I could take that poo to a spot outside and leave it there. Would that help him know to use that spot outside?

5. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

If it is cold out, get him a sweater. A child's hoodie or sweater will do and it won't cost much. You probably need to keep him out longer. If you must take him inside, keep him on a leash, so that you can keep a very close eye on him. Then you can take him out at a moments notice.

By all means take his poo outside. It might not help, but it won't hurt. :)

Good luck!

6. Laylee

Laylee Boxer Pal