1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Potty training help

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by Daisybaby, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Daisybaby

Daisybaby Boxer Pal

Hello everyone. I have read through the other threads and learned some things. I have a 12 week old boxer, Daisy, who has to be the most calm boxer I have ever met. We brought her home 3 days ago and she slept in the bed with us from day 1 from 9pm-7am with no accidents and not even waking up so I know she is capable of holding it. However during the day I am taking her out frequently and we can stay outside for 20 minutes and the second we walk back in she poops on the floor. She does better with urinating outside but still goes in the house some too. Any tips on how to get her to potty outside? I even carried some of her poop outside so there was a familiar smell but she hasn't pooped outside one time for us. Help please!

2. cimaira

cimaira Boxer Pal

I have to say, I've been very lucky on that score with my last two dogs. I had an older Rottie, that pretty much set an example.

However, I did keep a very close eye on them, and had to learn the "signals". If they didn't go to the door, I'd scoop them up mid squat and take them out. Didn't fuss, just calmly scoop and out they went. I'd set them on the ground and say go pottie. Then just kind of walk around and ignore them, watching out of the corner of my eye. If they pooped out side, it was like a party, "yes, good boy!", petting, praise and treats. The neighbors probably thought I was insane, lol. If we had time I'd play with them, if not, back in the house.

It took a while with my oldest, but he finally got it.
    12 weeks is still very young, and she may not even know she has to go until, oops there it is, lol. If you feed her on a schedule, instead of free feeding, taking her out about 15-20 minutes after she eats or even after a play session, she should go. And I know it's hard, but don't play with her until she has done her business, or else she just thinks its a play session. Been there done that, lol.

It's great that she sleeps through the night! My oldest was a terror at night, howled and whined all night in his crate. Never a break, sad to say I caved, after about a month. I put up a baby gate on the bedroom door and let him sleep with me at night. I know, I know...bad mommy, but geeze I had to sleep and I couldn't nap and recharge during the day like he did, rofl.

Sorry to be so long winded, but I'm hoping someone can learn from my mistakes, lol. And hopefully this will be of some use.

3. Jinnytee

Jinnytee Super Boxer

Each dog is different, but generally puppies will poop after meals, especially after breakfast ..... or even before breakfast when they first get up after a nights sleep. If they don't straight away, then an active game, with some running etc, will usually "get things moving ".

Get to know your pup's habits and take advantage of the times you know for sure that your pup will poop - take her outside to the same spot every time and give a really great food reward with lots of praise when she "goes". By using the same spot, she will get to know this as her place to go, and by rewarding her, you will re-enforce the good habits ( while ignoring the accidents )

Good Luck !

4. trc4941

trc4941 Super Boxer

I agree....get her on a schedule. Romeo and Luca were fairly easy to train. We took them out as soon as we woke up. We'd say "go poop" and when they did we gave them a treat and lots of "good boy go poop - good poop". We'd use the word over and over. Then we'd say "go pottie" and when they peed more treats and praise. Then we'd do the same thing after they ate, after they woke up from a nap, after we took them out of their crates and before we went to bed. They got to know the words "poop" and "pottie" right away. Romeo slept thru night with us right from the start, but Luca would wake up once around 2am to go pottie. That lasted a couple of months. I can count on one hand the accidents in the house. So it went pretty smoothly.

They're both over 1 yr old now and if we're going for a walk and they still haven't taken care of their "business" I can still say "go poop" and they will oblige!!

Good luck.

5. FinnMom

FinnMom Boxer Buddy

We used "Puppy Time Chimes" with Finn starting right when we brought him home at 8 weeks. We purchased them at Petsmart. They are bells on a piece of fabric that snap either onto a doorknob or, in our case, the handle of our sliding glass door. Every time we took Finn out, which was very often in the beginning, we would take his paw, hit the chimes and go outside. After about a day and a half, we heard the chimes and Finn had hit them all by himself!

Like the previous poster, we said to Finn, "go poop" or "go pee-pee" once we got to his designated area and praised the heck out of him when he went. He's 9 months old now and when he's distracted and we want him to finish up, we can just say the words and he'll go. Also, we never mixed doing his business with playtime.

Finn was about 3 months when he was fully potty trained with only an occasional accident.

Good luck!

6. Daisybaby

Daisybaby Boxer Pal

Thank you

Thanks everyone. I have read all of your tips and Daisy is doing very well. Today marks only one week since we got her and she is doing very well. I have no doubt she will be fully potty trained soon.

7. Laylee

Laylee Boxer Pal

Hey all, thought i'd post in here since my question is related, rather than starting a new thread.

How is Daisy doing now?

Sounds great that some of the dogs mentioned here sleep through the night! When one woke up at 2am how did you know she wanted to go? Our boxer hasn't arrived yet so I'm not sure what the signs are.

The chimes sound like a great idea. I'd never heard of that method. I can buy 10 big jingle bells for £1.79 off eBay so will be able to make one cheap too!

I want to train him to go outside everytime, rather than buying puppy training pads. I will be around for him 24/7, we live in a little house with a garden, so am I right in thinking I can manage without the pads in this case? I had been worried that night times would be tricky without the pads, but if I train him to use the bell then he'll probably wake me up when/if he rings it at night (my bedroom is at the top of the stairs and the front door is at the bottom).

I read up on some training with the chimes but it didnt say wether i praise him for using them then, or after he's been?

8. RockTheBoxer

RockTheBoxer Super Boxer

I offer a word of caution letting your pup have free roam of the house at night time. Dogs inherently will not go to the bathroom where they sleep or "their den" but they probably will not consider the living room, for example, their den unless they normally sleep there. Rocky sleeps in his bed in our room with the door closed, or mostly closed. If he gets up for a potty break in the middle of the night, he always shakes his head and that wakes me up. I feel like I sleep partially listening for him since he joined our family so I always hear him.

If Rocky gets up for a middle of the night potty break, we go straight outside for potty, then straight back to bed. There is no play time involved at this time. He's older now, so he knows the drill, but when we were training him that what we did. We did give treats for potty so he associated going outside with getting a reward.

9. Laylee

Laylee Boxer Pal

Thanks. Our set up is going to be him in his bed in the living room at night, kitchen door closed, and a safety gate at the bottom of the stairs (we have 2 rooms downstairs so he would be confined to the one room). I'd sleep in my room at the top of the stairs with my door open so he'd (hopefully) wake me if he started moving around.

I read The Dog Listener and she says to sleep on a couch next to your puppy the first 2 nights he comes home, so I might do that and then it'll be easier to hear him.

Yeah I'd definitely make a big fuss like you all have whenever he went outside. Lots of praise and a treat but I would never mix potty and playtime up. I love playing with dogs so will be doing that most of my time with him so I don't think it'd work as a reward. Apparently he loves eating though so I'm guessing food rewards will work when training him!

10. FinnMom

FinnMom Boxer Buddy

Laylee, with regard to when to praise your pup if using the chimes, you'd praise him immediately after hearing the chimes and then again after he goes when you take him outside.