Post I hoped i'd never have to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dieselsmom

Boxer Booster
This week has been a whirlwind. Tuesday night, my DH came home from work, and Diesel was acting very lethargic and didnt want to eat (which isnt really new for him). He could care less about food has been that way since a puppy, we feed twice per day and sometimes he's just enjoying life too much to bother eating.

By the time i got home 2 hours later, he was even worse, made it halfway out to the kitchen to see me. Off to the emergency vet we go. Xrays and an ultrasound later, looks like a splenic mass and some blood in the abdomen. She tells us we can contact the emergency surgen at 8am the next day to schedule a consult, but she thinks its over her head.

Made it home around midnight. Spent all night laying next to him, decided i wasnt going to wait for the clinic to open to try to get an appt. Off to MSU emergency clinic we go.

They took him in, did an ultrasound, yep, splenic mass. We elected to do emergency surgery. Spleen was removed, couldnt tell whether cancer or not. Found a few nodules on the liver that they biopsied. But he seems to be doing well. They said when they were in there, they didnt see cancer anywhere. I wont have confirmation of the mass for 5 to 7 days.

Hoping I get to pick him up tonight. Dont know if we'll have to do Chemo. I had no time to research this and have been so buried at work today, I cant look anything up.

Can anybody provide me with some guidance.

Jinnytee

Super Boxer
I am sorry, I have no advice or experience .... but just wanted to say that I am sorry, and wishing that Diesel makes a good recovery and that the mass is benign. Positive vibes on their way to you.

Lizzie

Boxer Insane
Diva when she was from memory 9 years old also had her spleen removed (I thought she was bloating, but turns our that a tumour the size of a golf ball had ruptured on her spleen and that she was bleeding internally). Diva's turned out to be a haemgiosarcoma. Diva did not undergo chemo and she lived to be over 13. Dogs can survive this, as Diva proved.

The fact that Diesel survived the emergency surgery is a good sign. Take it one step at a time at this stage.

Please let us know how Diesel is.

Dieselsmom

Boxer Booster
We got him home last night, seemed to be maybe a little relieved to say the least. He's pretty doped up still, so not quite back to himself, but i'm sure that'll come in the next few days. For right now we're just gonna give him all the lovin he wants, and wait and see what the hystiopath says.

I'm glad to have him home though.

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Sending lots of positive healing vibes Diesel's way.------->>>>>

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
Oh my goodness :( I'm glad your baby is home and we're crossing fingers and paws over here that no cancer is found in biopsy and he has a speedy recovery.

Dieselsmom

Boxer Booster
Good news, after they removed the spleen and got the hystiopath back, its not cancer. I was completely prepared for the worst since everything i was reading said that only the cancerous tumors wind up bleeding.

Diesels recovery has been good, he's back to eating more than he ever did and is down about 10 lbs from where he was before surgery. Staples are out and he looks so much better and happier.

Status
Not open for further replies.