1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible Kitten(s) behind our shed????

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by packblt, Jul 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. packblt

packblt Completely Boxer Crazy

Looking for some advice please:) So yesterday morning I was out watering the flowers in our back yard when I heard what I thought sounded like a kitten meowing from behind our shed. I peeked back there but didn't see anything. We have some extra outdoor furniture stored back there under a tarp and some extra trash cans. Last year we did have a litter of three kittens that were born back there from the neighborhood stray cats. I didn't know they were back there last year until they started coming out and playing on the lawn in front of the shed. Last year that part of the yard was fenced off with some ornamental fencing that was removed this year which means now Bandit and Lola can go right up to the shed whenever they please but cannot get behind it because the side is blocked by a piece of fencing. So this morning I was watering and again I heard the meowing/crying sounds, I looked over at Bandit and Lola that were sunning themselves not far from the shed and they seemed unfazed by the sounds. Last year when the kittens played on the lawn they were interested and excited but did not attempt to jump the fence to get at them. Tyson, however, was obsessed with them and was waking us up in the middle of the night to go check and see if they were out there and even got himself stuck on the fence at one point from trying to leap it but even that didn't faze Bandit and Lola. Eventually the mother cat took the kittens and moved on. We did see the mother with them at all times but did not know they were back there until they would come out to play.

Sorry for the ramble but I don't know what to do, I have not seen the mother at all. Do I go back and investigate or just assume she is tending to the kitten(s)? I'm concerned because we are having a heat wave here ant it's been over 90 degrees for quite a few days now but it is very shady behind the shed. I'm afraid if I go poking around back there she may not come back. What do I do? I know nothing about cats at all and there is a huge colony of feral cats at the other end of our subdivision in the woods.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated:)

2. Holden's Mom

Holden's Mom Boxer Insane

Feral cats are often misunderstood. An organization devoted to their care is available here:

Alley Cat Allies

They will answer your questions. In extreme heat, provide shade(which you have) and water. The website gives tips on feeding in the summer. Of course, TNR, (trap, neuter, return) is their answer to containing the population of feral cats. This organization can help you in your area.

Doug loves cats. He would be so excited to see kittens and want to play with them.

Pam and Doug

3. RoxiesEcho

RoxiesEcho Boxer Insane

A few years ago a feral cat had kittens in our barn and I never knew until they were big enough to come on into my pigs enclosure. If you investigate, the mother will not abandon them but may move them somewhere else. In my case she put up with me checking on them for a couple of days, then she took them somewhere else.

4. packblt

Thanks for the info!!! Update:

OK so I have been going over and checking and still could hear a kitten now and then but still no sign of the mom. Yesterday, I stayed behind the fence and watched and finally saw one kitten, it appears all the noise is coming from him. He was walking around and meowing then went back under the tarp. I did not hear or see any other kittens or the mom. Should I just assume that since he is now coming out into a more open space that she is coming back and taking care of him and he is growing and making progress?

I don't think he will be able to make it out into the yard where the dogs are. There are two pieces of extra x-pen fencing that we use to block off our pool in the winter blocking his way.

How would I be able to tell if he is old enough for me to separate him from his mom and take him to the shelter to see if he can be adopted? I'm really worried for his safety back there.

5. Holden's Mom

Don't take the kitten to a shelter. Feral cats and kittens are never put up for adoption. See if there is a local caregiver of ferals in your area. A vet or local pet store may know. Our local PetSmart uses MamaKat Rescue at their store. Or email Alley Cat Allies and ask for help.

Pam and Doug

6. packblt

Ok I won't take him to the shelter, I have a call into my vet's office to see what they recommend. Thanks:)

7. Holden's Mom

On socializing feral kittens:

Socialized Cat Guide - Alley Cat Allies

The article says you have until they are about 4 months old before they can not be socialized. Best to start before eight weeks of age.

My experience with feral cats is most will eventually gain human trust, but still want to remain in their "outdoor homes". I am presently caring for a single feral cat, have been for about 5-6 years. I can pet him, though carefully. He is fixed.

Keep us posted on what the vet says.

Pam and Doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.