Poo poo in Crate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rosieren

Boxer Buddy
Hello, I am having problems crate training my boxer puppy. For the last two weeks (ever since we got him) we have been crating him at night and when we leave the house. During the day he almost always holds it but he never makes it through the night without pooing. He also manages to spread the poo everywhere. I have a divider in the crate so he doesn't have extra room. I also do not feed him in the crate. I feed him twice a day and don't allow food after 7:00 pm. I have been keeping him on a consistent bed time/wake up schedule. Any advice would be great. I just do not see any improvement.

harlie'smom

Boxer Insane
Maybe get up once a night to take him out. easier said than done :) Im sorry i havent experienced this but i hope my advice will help.

shokfer

Boxer Pal
i just joined BW to ask about the very same problem you are having. we are in the same boat and there doesn't seem to be many of us at all. i've tried everything with my 6 mos old female. for the first 2 weeks we had her it was every morning like clock work and that was with us waking up every 2-3 hours to walk her. she did it mostly during the night only a couple of times did i come home to her mess.....EVERYWHERE! on every bar of the crate, the wall behind the crate, the closet doors next to the crate and about a 2 foot diameter around the crate on the floor. she stopped for about a month and then sunday morning we woke up and surprise, back to her old tricks. i've tried different size crates, she eats on a normal schedule and poops on a normal schedule. let me ask you this...does the poop smell different to you? it smells like poop but not like a poop outside. i call it "stress poop smell" call me crazy i don't know. i think that some dogs can't handle the crate. my two toy poodles were fine. one is 14 years and the other is 6 years. no problems. but Roxy my boxer.......my god!

Rosieren

Boxer Buddy
He is 3 months old. I feed him Solid Gold puppy food (dry kibble). This is so wierd because I know he has the ability to hold it since he almost never messes during the day. He has also slept in our bed a couple of times and slept in later than I normally get up without bugging us to go out. As to the stress poo smell I am not sure. It seems to smell a lot worse than a normal pile outside but that may just be because it is smeared everwhere and I am sticking my head into the kennel to scrub it. Thanks for the support. At this point we are thinking of just letting him sleep in bed with us and then when he is potty trained we can hopefully move him to a bed on the floor before he gets too big. I just don't know what to do because it is hard to find the time every morning to scrub the kennel, floors, and wash puppy.

Rosieren

Boxer Buddy
Oh one more thing, I know what you mean when you talk about your poodles handling the crate better. I just finished potty training my jack russell terrier a month before we got Rocky and he never messed in his crate. This is so frustrating because from what I've read about boxers they don't like to mess in their space let alone all over themselves as well. They just sound so smart and I know my guy has stuff going on upstairs but I have not seen any improvment or a glimmer of hope that this will ever end.

dharmadoodle

Boxer Pal
Apparently it takes about 11hrs to digest kibble.

I myself am currently working on Rogue's feeding times so that she doesn't have to poo as soon as she wakes - which is about 7am.

Rogue is 6mths.

Good luck with yours. ;)

shokfer

Boxer Pal
i know that hopeless feeling all too well. Roxy would poop outside, we'd crate her for the night and then in the morning....about 5 hours later. poop everywhere. and when she sleeps in the bed with us....she sleeps straight through the night, about 8-9 hours worth. so i know she can hold it. one time she pooped and we crated her right after around 11 at night. by midnight she was screaming in her crate, i walked in....poop everywhere! it does get better though. mine is 6 mos old and up until a few days ago...nothing in the crate for about a month. hang in there. and if nothing else....you and i will have the cleanist boxers in the world from all the bathing we've done.

leeshie45

Completely Boxer Crazy
Hi there,
I'm a first time boxer wner, so I'm not an expert like most of the wonderful people at BW. Champ is about 4 1/2 mos. and he only seems to poop in his crate when something doesn't agree with his stomach - meaning that he just can't hold it. He's on a raw diet, and he eats around 5:30 pm, goes out a couple times after that until bed, around 11 pm or midnight.
I noticed he pooped in his crate a lot when I was feeding him kibble at first (solid gold, and then u, which never seemed to agree with him all that much. Sometimes he would wake up earlier than normal, and whine in his crate while I was getting ready for work, but when he pooped in his crate, he would scream and scream and scream (I finally realized what all the fussing was about, so now when I hear that, I'm rushing downstairs - poor thing). Even when he was about 2 mos., he slept with me, and he never went in the middle of the night.
Maybe, possibly, the food you are feeding him doesn't agree with him, and gets an upset stomach and can't hold it??
And I also agree (if it's not for the above reason) that maybe get up once in the middle of the night to take him out...??

lalalucy

Boxer Buddy
I'm still having pee and poop problems in the crate. I just don't get it. I am home to let her out, but I run errands for maybe two/three hours and I may come home to a present. She just turned 6 months old, and this happens at least once a week. Husband is thinking she is untrainable. I love my girl so much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.