Please say a prayer for my Dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
Thanks again for all the prayers everyone! My Dad says thank you as well! I got to the hospital just as visiting hours were ending, but did get to spend about 15 minutes visiting. Dad is out of ICU and in CPCU and doing well. When he collapsed the first time a friend did CPR and broke two of his ribs. He said that hurts but other wise feels good.

Cami

Boxer Insane
He said that hurts but other wise feels good.

Isn't that amazing? They have their chest cracked open and a couple of broken ribs is the issue? My dad said his pacemaker surgery was WAY worse than the open heart. Big shocker for me! I guess the drugs are doing their job. Glad to hear he is doing well and bless his friend for knowing what to do and for being there.

For future reference.....*if* he starts to have a little discomfort, eventually....from the healing site on his chest AND as hair starts to regrow he can use a simple paper plate facing his chest (to give a bit of buffer of room) between his skin and his shirt. My dad kept a plate pinned to the inside of his shirts for at least a few weeks. One of the patients on his floor at the time gave him that tip (he was in for his 2nd by-pass and was a wealth of info).

Another tip from a dietitian who said she would totally deny it if ever asked.....they pretty much try to get you on a low fat diet, etc....to "change your ways" and she said that the body NEEDS fat in order to heal more efficiently. My dad was extremely nauseated anytime they brought his meals to him in those plastic hospital trays with covers. He wasn't eating anything. We had to sneak him in ANYTHING he would eat to keep calories in him. The only thing he would eat for 3 days were sausage McMuffins from McDonalds. It has been 11 years since his surgery and he has never eaten another one! I was totally against it but with the guidance from the dietitian and nursing staff I caved.

Continued healing vibes being sent to your dad for a speedy recovery.

johann

Boxer Insane
Thanks again for all the prayers everyone! My Dad says thank you as well! I got to the hospital just as visiting hours were ending, but did get to spend about 15 minutes visiting. Dad is out of ICU and in CPCU and doing well. When he collapsed the first time a friend did CPR and broke two of his ribs. He said that hurts but other wise feels good.

He was lucky to have a friend right there that knew how to correctly do CPR! I'm so very happy to hear that his biggest complaint is pain from broken ribs.

I hope he continues to heal well and gets to go home soon.

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
My dad is doing great! He is most likely going to leave the hospital today, and go to a local rehab for a week or so. There is storm called Irene heading this way and I am torn about leaving or staying. I want to stay and help but I don' t want to be in the way either.

Cami

Boxer Insane
Glad to hear your dad continues to do well. I'd say STAY.....if you can. You won't be in the way.
I'm sure he will appreciate a friendly face among so many strangers (docs, nurses, therapy aids, etc...).

djheitz

Boxer Insane
Stay...you'll worry less if you're closer. My parents both had some major medical isues going on last winter, and even though they're only 1 1/2 hours away, it was easier for me when I was there.
I'm glad he's doing well!

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I have decided to stay until the beginning of next week. Dad has to spend one more day in the hospital because he is still on oxygen. Thankfully Irene looks to be turning away from
FL. Thor and Arabella are having a great time visiting with their grandma! Not that she would spoil them or anything ;) My parents have been divorced for years so mom is watching the dogs while I'm at the hospital. Thanks again for all the prayers! Theu seem to be working!

nalabear

Super Boxer
I am so glad your dad is doing so well and that you decided to stay. I am sure its a comfort for him just as it is for you.

And the pups need some good spoiling on occation too :D

Status
Not open for further replies.