1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help - Neuter Gone Wrong?

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Linus' Mom, Aug 31, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linus' Mom

Linus' Mom Boxer Booster

Linus is not doing well at all :( . We brought him in on Tuesday to be neutered. Wednesday evening we noticed that he was not eating (...which is REALLY abnormal for Linus) and that he was squatting a lot to pee but nothing was coming out. I called the vet and they said to bring him in. So we made an appointment for Friday (yesterday) and they ended up having to sedate him, insert a cathedar (sp?) - which they removed after they emptied his bladder- gave him a shot of steroids and an antibiotic (ETHAMYCIN & DEXAMETHASONE). His vet said that he was poisoning himself from his bladder not draining and they were concerned about liver damage as a result. Over $200 later we brought him home with an Elizabethan collar and were told to monitor him closely. If he still couldn't pee then we should bring him back.

Well last night (....during my birthday dinner) we noticed that his penis kept coming out and not going back in. We were told to lubricate it with vaseline and push it back in. By 10:30 last night his penis was about 5 times the size is should be and there was no way that we could push his "fella" back in. We rushed him to our 24hour vet hospital and the vet said she had never seen anything like it. We had to leave him there - they inserted a cathedar, pushed his penis back in and stitched him up so everything would stay in. He is on long term and short term pain medication.... The vet last night said she didn't like the colour of his penis and said that we really needed to do something quickly.... This morning, he is back at his regular vet with his cathedar sticking out of him and all...

I really don't know what to do. He was a healthy happy puppy on Tuesday and now the prognosis is not great. His vet is saying that it is NOT related to his neuter and it just coincidentally occurred right after his neuter.

I need some advice please. I am sick over this. To make matters worse, I just found out that I am 6 weeks pregnant (which is a GREAT THING) and am not supposed to stress over anything.....

2. luvfritz

luvfritz Boxer Pal

Did the emergency vet give any indication this was related to the neutering? The issue that really ticks me off is that the vet's office "made an appointment" on Wednesday for Friday with a puppy suffering like this? Linus should have been seen immediately. It's not up to you to know that - it's up to the vet :mad: Even that this vet sent Linus home with you to "vaseline" him - is not right. I mean you have to go sleep - they're a vet's office - Linus should have put on medical watch, he' a baby who's just had a surgical procedure. I've had mostly female dogs (my males were already neutered when I got them) but I had several cats neutered and never had a problem. One of my male cats was blocked from getting cat litter in his penis. Do you know of anyone who could refer you to another vet? You have to let the first vet do what he can, keep all records. Get everything in writing that he tells you to do. Just tell him you want to be clear on what your supposed to do. My prayers are with you and Linus.

3. boxers4life2001

boxers4life2001 Boxer Insane

I really don't have any answears for you but I just wanted to say i'm sorry your little guy is so sick right now. I will diffently keep him in my prayers. I just find it odd that all of the sudden after surgery all this happens. Coincidence or not (which I think not) do they have any explantion for you as to why/what is going on? I would be very tempted to take him to another vet for a second opinion. Why would a 6 month old stop urinating all the sudden, and his penis swell up? I really hope he starts to get better soon, I feel so bad for Linus. Once again, he will be in my prayers. Please keep us updated.

4. Astoreen

Astoreen Completely Boxer Crazy

Any news on little Linus?? We're saying special boxer prayers for him this moment and sending extra special boxer love your family's way. Keep us posted, please.

5. Linus' Mom

Linus' Mom Boxer Booster

Update on Linus

We just picked Linus up from his vet and had to bring him to the Emergency Animal Hospital because they want to monitor him over night. They will apply hot compresses and give him his antibiotic by injection. He had just pulled his cathader out so it will cost another $70 to sedate him and $30 to re-insert... little bugger! :D

I asked the vet what the plan was. She said that they should have a better idea after a few days in the hospital. They are not sure what they are going to do if he doesn't get better with his cathadar and sticthing...

Thanks so much for your concern. I feel better now becuase I saw him eat and his little stump was going a mile a minute when he saw us. I want him home, but know that he is getting good care.

For anyone who reads this, kiss your babies for me.....I wish so much I could kiss mine :(

6. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

I don't have any advice for you -- it sounds like you are making sure he gets the care he needs. We hope Linus gets well soon. Dallas sends boxer slurps!

By the way -- I just looked at your picture gallery and Linus is a gorgeous pup!

7. Billysmum

Billysmum Boxer Insane

Hi there Linus' mum

I just want to say that I hope Linus is doing ok now. Don't forget to keep us updated.

Aslo, congratulations to you and your husband - just remember to look after yourself too.

8. debbie knowles

debbie knowles Boxer Insane

I am so sorry to hear about poor Linus. Your post brought me to tears...I hate hearing that someone's baby is so sick. I just want you to know that we will be thinging about all of you and of course we will keep Linus in our prayers. May God Bless you all! djk

9. Eric J

Eric J Boxer Insane

You have the deepest sympathies in this predicament my house can give. This is just horrible. I couldn't imagine going through this when I do take Jedi in for neutering, you must be devastated.

10. Emma'sMamma

Emma'sMamma Boxer Booster

This is not good!! Any ideas on what is causing it yet? I read you have to wait a few days! I think I would go nuts! I hope you keep us posted on what's happening. I'm kissing and hugging my Emma for you! :p She's returning the hug to you ((((((HUG)))))) ((((((slobbers))))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.