1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please help. My sisters dog was shot and killed in front of her by a coyote hunter

Discussion in 'Other Pets' started by Haileysmom, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haileysmom

Haileysmom Boxer Pal

I used to use this site a lot before my boxer Hailey passed away 5 yrs ago and I know how passionate people are on here about the breed and dogs in general. So, I thought this might be a good place to ask for help.

On Jan 12th my sister and her friend were walking her dog (100 lb weimaraner) on a road in Ishpeming MI. This road is a place where a lot of people will let their dogs off leash because there is no traffic on it. It's a common place to take dogs and is within the city limits.

Shortly after they began their walk Corby (her dog) was about 10 yards in front of them when a man on the road ahead of them shot and killed him. He claimed he thought he was a coyote and that he was coyote hunting. Corby was wearing a bright yellow jacket and an orange collar.

Only very minimal charges have been brought against the man by the prosecutor even though this man broke many laws. Hunting with in city limits, shooting on a road, poaching of coyotes in city limits, shooting towards people etc etc.

I have put together a petition to ask the prosecutor to bring more appropriate charges. Please see the link below where you can get more details on this tragic story, view and sign the petition if you agree. We have over 1600 signatures so far! Please share this with as many people as you can on facebook twitter etc. This kind of thing should never have happened. - Thank you- Amy

http://www.change.org/petitions/gle...he-can-t-hunt-or-endanger-the-lives-of-others

2. Holden's Mom

Holden's Mom Boxer Insane

How awful. I signed. Please give my condolences to your sister. I am a big second amendment advocate. But I no of nowhere hunting is allowed in the city. Nor should it be. Hope this guy gets the max, and then some.

Pam and Doug

3. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

Just mind blowing and very sad. I'd hire an attorney and file civil charges immediately. It will (might) help with the city case.

4. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

That's awful! I am a hunter myself and I went and signed because not only did your sister suffer the terrible loss of her dog, but that man was breaking the rules and regs by hunting in the city. He would be placing lives of both humans and pets in danger. It makes me so angry! I suggested when I signed that they make an example of the man to encourage other hunters to know the area where they are hunting, whether there are roads or sidewalks in the area, and if not to be sure of their target....what it actually is....whether it is actually a dog and not a coyote(A weimeraner is a tremendously larger animal than a coyote will ever get to be.)

5. Ozarksparrow

Ozarksparrow Boxer Pal

I'd do what Cami suggested as well. I'd be suing the living daylights out of the man for the emotional loss of my companion and endangerment of my own life through his recklessness.

6. bxrbgood

bxrbgood Boxer Insane

This dog looks nothing like a coyote. I signed your petition. You should NEVER fire a weapon unless you're 100% sure what you are shooting at. Then that you want it dead. This coyote hunter is an idiot. Some places he himself might be eliminated from the gene pool for such a stupid stunt.

7. rena

rena Boxer Booster

Signed your petition -- fully support 2nd Amendment, but gun owners must be responsible and face severe consequences for irresponsible actions. Slap on the wrist only encourages further bad behavior.

8. Gunther

Gunther Super Boxer

Done! And yeah my GSD looks like a Blk Wolf, I've been told so yeah.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.