1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please Help In My Decision..

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by BoxerLuff, Apr 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoxerLuff

BoxerLuff Boxer Pal

I currently have a Canaan/Pitbull mix named Prae. My current roommate who has a boxer that I've cared for as my own for the last 8 months is moving out next week, and I don't want Prae to be alone. She's much happier with a sibling.

I'm having a slight dilemma - right now I'm between two boxers:

Jazzie is between 2 & 3 years old, dominant female (Prae is a submissive female), was found a year and a half ago by someone with her pregnant sister. The person kept the sister and took care of the puppies and found them homes. Jazzie went to a small local rescue. She was adopted out to a home, and was returned because she was "big and clumsy". She went back to the rescue, but the rescue had to shut down due to lack of funds. So she's back at square one now with the original person who found her.

The other is Dempsey, a 7 year old male, who was originally in a home for most of his life. He was then surrendered to WCAC, and a few days later had a home. He was then returned after a week, for reasons unsaid by the adopters. Due to him being a "return" and his age, as well as the shelter being way over capacity, I'm worried about him going on the kill list. I know Jazzie won't go on the kill list, but I feel terrible having to choose. With Praline, she was the first to reply, I met her the next day, and adopted her the day after that; she was perfect. I didn't have to choose.

What do I do?

2. Holden's Mom

Holden's Mom Boxer Insane

Male - female is the best combo for adult dogs. At seven years old, Dempsey should have decent house manners. Do you know if he gets long with other dogs? If he is well socialized with other dogs, sounds as though he would be a good fit. He needs a home, and your Praline(love the name) needs a friend.

Hope whatever decision you make works out well. And thanks for rescueing.

Pam and Doug

3. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

Two females can be iffy. Especially with the breeds your dealing with. Will the shelter allow an interact between your dog & Dempsey? Really you need to know if the dogs will get along (proper introductions are important). Its always best to let the resident dog choose her new mate. You may find that neither are the best fit. There are a lot of dogs needing homes so thank you for choosing to rescue.

4. BoxerLuff

BoxerLuff Boxer Pal

Thanks guys, unfortunately they don't allow meet & greets at WCAC, but I did go meet Dempsey today and he's just an absolute lovebug. Fawn, Prae's current sibling that is leaving, is a very dominant female, and they work together well - probably because Prae is so submissive. Jazzie is coming to the house Friday to do a home check and to get Prae approval. If that doesn't work out, I think Dempsey will fit right in here. That's one thing I love about rescues - is they'll almost always do a meet & greet with current dogs.

I'm so excited to adopt a boxer! I fell in love with Fawn the first time she gave me a hug when she moved in with me, and laid next to me on the couch every night instead of next to her daddy (lol); Boxers are the best!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.