Please Help Choosing a Pup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee

Boxer Pal
Hi Fellow Boxer Lovers!
My name is Lee Godfrey and I'm new to this board. I have been lurking for several weeks now...and I've come up with a question for you all!

After six months of hemming and hawing (and a ton of research)I have finally decided to get my first Boxer pup. I've owned many different breeds in the past (the last one a St. Bernard).I've found and made contact with the breeder, who as expected was a wealth of knowledge for me. They will have a litter to choose from in Feb. There is a possibility of a young male which the breeder is waiting to see if one of his testicles drops. If it doesn't then I may have a shot at him.

Now I read in a Tim Hutchings Complete Boxer that one testicle dogs tend to get sick more often than a (normal) 2 testicle dog. I have not been able to verify this information from any other source. Now I throw the question to the forum...if the dog is going to be strictly a companion dog (no showing), and I have him "fixed" is there it true that he may be a sickly dog?

------------------

Krikkit

Boxer Insane
He should be fine if desexed :) It is great that you have done so much research. I'm sure you will adore sharing your life with a Boxer :)

I agree with Krikkit, if he is nuetered you should not have to worry about that. Good luck and keep us posted.

------------------
Cindy Corl
Lacie female, brindle, natural ears,7-17-99

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
I believe that at the time of neutering, they can "pull" the undropped testicle down, for appearance sake. They may even have to do it in order to do the neutering. Check with your vet to be sure. After neutering, your dog should be just fine.

Good luck!! All of us here know you will REALLY enjoy having a Boxer friend.

------------------
Dan from Brooklyn
Proud Pappa to Maggie Mae, Born 6/16/00
Flashy Fawn (Red), docked tail, natural ears.
Pictures: http://www.d-batt.com/Maggie.html

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
I agree that if he is neutered he should be fine and from what I have read any male that has 1 or both testicles that don't drop must have them removed for health reasons anyway (I think cancer). I don't see how it could cause a problem if it is gone. :)

Alisha - Indiana

Julie Davis

Boxer Insane
I concur with all the previous responses. Good luck to you, and I am really looking foward to hearing from you again. Keep us posted with what happens, and Merry Christmas. :)

------------------
Boomer, flashy fawn, 2/19/00, natural ears, docked tail, heart of gold
Brandy, yellow/white Beagle 1/00
Baxter, grey tabby, 3/96
Casey, Sue, Pierre, Mitzi, Tinker, Tanya, and Tessa waiting at the bridge, and always in my heart

LPratt

Super Boxer
Cryptorchidism is common among Boxers, and is a fault that can keep a dog from showing but should be absolutely no problem as a pet if they are neutered.

As far as pulling the testicle down, I have not heard about that, since the anatomical begininning is in the abdomen and the testicle travels to its final destination via a canal in the groin.

Many children are born with cryptorchidism and there are no causal effects to any other genetic defects.

Good Luck!

Leezah & Angus :)

boxermuse

Boxer Buddy
AARRRGH I was *just* about to finsih my post and my 'puter died on me *gives her computer the evil eye, while threatening to take a hammer to it* *coughs*
Like I was saying....
Luka has undescended testicles (poor guy) and the vet informed me that when I take him into neuter him, they will make an incision just as if they were doing a 'spay'. My Father suggested getting some of my money back from the breeder, but since I wasnt going to show or breed him I would have paid the same amount regardles. (okay..trying this one more time...remember 'puter your on-line life is in my hands!!!)

------------------
Amy- Owner of a Brindle Male boxer, natural ears, docked tail born 8/28/00
Harley-mixed shep, Garcia & Rain-cats, Count-horsey, Fishy-fish

LPratt

Super Boxer
Most breeders will take into account the fact that the puppy is a cryptorchid and price them a little less due to the more expensive neutering process....

Angus is a one in a million case, he was a cryptorchid whose undescended testicle had torged (twisted) in his abdomen...he was so sick and almost died, but because no one had ever heard of this happening, no one thought it was his testicle that was making him so sick.

So, I mentioned it offhand with the vet and she said, "OMG that is probably it!" He had an ultra sound and later that day had emergency surgery....my husband actually performed the surgery on Angus (pretty cool) and his testicle was 6 times the size of the normal one!! It was also dead and he was almost septic...

I don't want to scare anyone, seriously Angus was a one in a million case, usually cryptorchids are neutered and are no different than any other dog.

Leezah & Angus :)

CoppersMom

Boxer Buddy
My Border Collie pup had both testicles ascended as well, with no problems. The vet just told us the importance of having him neutered when they have this problem.

------------------
Cindy
Mag - male high strung Border Collie, 11mo
Copper - male flashy fawn w/ natural ears, 3mo
Penn and Teller - brothers rescued kittens

Status
Not open for further replies.