please get off my furniture! ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lb

help! i have made the big mistake by letting harley get on my club chair and ottoman. i allowed this in the summertime when my foot was in a cast and i had to keep it elevated. harley was into everything back then and it was the only way to stay off my feet and keep him under control at the sametime.
well needless to say the chair now looks like hell and i am replacing it. :o my new club chair and a half with ottoman comes on wednesday. i have at least made a better choice as far as fabric this time! (chenille)
i have been trying for weeks now to break harley (and of course tante also now) from getting in my chair. i don't want them on the new one when it comes. so far i have had to keep a clothes basket on the chair and seems like all i do is scold them 24/7. any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!! :confused:

------------------
LB,JB,Mikey (2 year old cat), Sergeant Major Harley (black reverse male brindle born Jan.21,00)& Tante Blanche Marie (fawn & white female born July 19,00

Ona

Boxer Booster
keep the ratty chair for him!!
That can be his chair to sit on.
If the fabric is shot, put a slip cover or some sort of sheet on it to match the living room. I think breaking him to stay off the new furnisher will be easier than trying to keep him off a chair that he has been allowed to sit on.
Have fun and keep a smile on your face!

------------------
Ona
Derek-rainbow bridge at 14 and 1/2
Tyler-rainbow bridge at 10 months
Tucker Rocky-warmblood
Neysa-Thoroughbred
Currently dogless

Tulsa-Dan

Your Friendly Moderator
Excellent idea Ona. If you don't have room for the old chair, then perhaps you can keep the cushion from it and use it as a doggie bed. The new chair won't have your "smell" on it or their scent either, so they will probably be wary of it at first. Just be persistent in making them get off the new chair and onto the old or the cushion from the old one. They'll learn eventually that the new chair is off limits. You know your Boxers, they are stubborn but they learn very well. It just takes a little more effort with our beloved Boxers, that's all.

Congrats on the new chair. I remember when my cat died and every asked if I was going to get another cat. I would always respond, "no, I'm going to get new furniture instead." But now that Maggie is here, I guess new furniture is not in the near future for me.

Maggie has her own couch which, as she is growing so fast, needs when napping since she and I can't nap on the same couch without much rearranging and kicking and pushing. I never sit on that couch (a loveseat actually) so she can have it all to herself. Besides, the cat had already totally trashed it, so if Maggie doesn't mind how ratty it is, why should I? It works out quite well for us.

Good luck and keep us posted.

------------------
Dan from Brooklyn
Proud Pappa to Maggie Mae
Born 6/16/00
Flashy Fawn, docked tail, natural ears.
Pictures: http://www.d-batt.com/Maggie.html

L

lb

:( keeping the old chair is not an option sadly. they are actually replacing the chair because i bought the stain protection deal. i got mustard on it and they couldn't get the stain out. sooooo when they bring the new chair they take the old chair away. :(

------------------
LB,JB,Mikey (2 year old cat), Sergeant Major Harley (black reverse male brindle born Jan.21,00)& Tante Blanche Marie (fawn & white female born July 19,00

A vet that does boxer rescue has a electic pad on her couch, if they jump on it they get a mild shock. She allows her 3 boxers Bob, Bailey and Wrecks to stay out of the crate all day, but she would find them on the couch, so she bought this pad to use, believe me it works, the poor lady who went to Liz's house with me accidently sat on it. But I also believe that you wont have any problem keeping them off the new one. Lacie was allowed on our old couch and when we boought our leather furniture, I just told her no a few times and she never tried to get on it again.

------------------
Cindy Corl
Lacie female, brindle, natural ears,7-17-99

nanabear

Banned
What about leaving that spot empty for awhile. Remove the old chair, maybe put the Christmas tree there?? Meanwhile provide Harley with a nice new cushy warm bed. I have found that with kids and dogs, the best way to break a habit is to remove temptation for awhile.

Linda

Boxer Insane
I've heard of people putting a layer of tin foil across the furniture. Apparently the dogs don't like the feel of it and will stay off. I don't know if it really works.

I read an article recently that talked about how to keep dogs out of certain parts of the yard and off lawn furniture. These were methods used.
"Bobby trap" the new chair with bottles and/or cans filled with pennies. When the dogs get on the chair, the cans fall and create a loud noise. The dogs should associate the loud noise to the chair and stay away from it. This might take a few tries.
Or try hiding and spraying them with a squirt bottle when they get up on the furniture. It's important that the dogs associate the negative (spraying or noise) with the chair and not with YOU. Otherwise when you're not around, they'll be on the chair.

Good luck. Let us know what works for you.

mc0624

Boxer Pal
Well, I have not tried this yet...but when I took Princess to obedience class, there were several questions on this particular subject. And one of the more interesting suggestions was this: you know that plastic carpet protectors you can buy...they are clear with little pointy things to make sure they stay put in the carpet? Well, you can buy some of that and place it face up on the couch/chair/whatever and after the first time they land on that...I would bet they stay off of it. However, what I'm not sure about is if they will figure out when its on the furniture or not...but its worth a shot. I think you can buy it in desired lengths at Home Depot and the like.

Michelle

B

Badassboxer

I've got an interesting one...(come to think of it I had an awful weekend with people's opinions and their animals). But this weekend I actually sat in a livingroom with a girl who suggested putting mousetraps (set) on the furniture as a guarantee animals would not get back on the furniture! Can you believe that??? I asked her why did she think that would be a good idea, I asked her wouldn't it hurt your fingers if you got caught in them - her answer..."well dogs have paws so they are bigger and won't hurt as much." I couldn't believe she said that I just shook my head and said "I feel sorry for your pet." And I thought this girl had 1/2 a head! She's got a weiner dog that she LOVES, I cannot picture her doing this, but it came right out of her mouth - she didn't even bat an eyelash as she said it either!!!

PS Nobody better do that!

B

Badassboxer

Oops, I forgot to offer my opinion of YOUR situation...

With the new couch, because it smells new and is new, you shouldn't have a problem teaching them to stay off it. It's a whole new ballgame, just keep them off from the start. It's trying to change the rules that would be hard.

Keep us posted on what you do and how it goes. no mousetraps... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.