1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plain boxers

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Titus-n-me, Feb 8, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titus-n-me

Titus-n-me Boxer Pal

I really would like to hear from people with plain boxers. I have heard that show judges are now starting to put them up at first place or best of breed, but I have yet to see this. I have a beautiful plain reverse brindle male that I show, however we are never put in front of a (same structual quality) flashy dog. I need help! Do I continue to show him (we haven't gotten a single point, despite all the gushings from judges) or do I give up? Should a plain boxer be bred?- he has never mated- should I start breeding him(all his tests are ok -i.e.:OFA, CERF, etc...) or should I neuter him and get a flashy breeding pair? I'd love to have one of his puppies, but I won't breed for that reason alone- are there any breeders out there who understand what I'm saying?

2. Krikkit

Krikkit Boxer Insane

Moving Thread

Hi, I'm just moving this to the Show questions forum :)

3. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

"are there any breeders out there who understand what I'm saying?"

Yes, yes, and yes!! I have a *gorgeous* plain brindle girl. She has an exquisite head, moves like a dream, very square, good tight feet - but she's also very plain. She's gotten two Reserves and a class placement at the National, and that's about it. It's tough, and we've given up seriously showing her (because I have two of her sons I'm showing also) although we still enter her here and there because she loves it so much.

I would first have three unbiased breeders take a look at him - it's easy to think our dogs are perfect but there may be something we don't see. (In my case, my girl is also a little fine-boned. She does better in the ring when she's in season or slightly pregnant.) If all agree (or two of the three, anyway!) that he's a good specimen of the breed, then I'd certainly consider breeding him. Plain dogs are often overlooked in breeding programs, but they shouldn't be. Especially until the status of white Boxers is figured out - if you don't want to have to deal with white puppies, ues a plain Boxer in every breeding. (This will not guarantee you won't have whites, because sometimes a plain is really a not-very-flashy flashy, but it will minimize the likelihood.) As long as his Holter/Doppler/thyroid/hip etc. testing is all OK. I would breed him to flashy bitches, because until plains are more widely accepted you're going to want to produce flashy offspring. Plain x plain most likely will not accomplish this.

As far as showing him, I'd say keep at it. Of course, it depends on how old he is, your ability to travel, etc. Plain Boxers do better under breeder-judges, so I'd show to them as often as possible. Someone has made a list of judges who will put up plain Boxers - I can't find it at this time, but if I do I'll post it for you. They are out there! A letter was sent by the ABC to all Boxer judges, discussing plain Boxers (the letter is on the ABC website, maybe under Info for ABC Members, if you want to read it).

I'm sure Christina will have something to add, as she is showing a plain boy right now who's doing pretty well ;)

Also, don't forget that a very plain girl was Winners Bitch at the ABC National in 1999. There is hope!

Julie

4. iluvboxers

iluvboxers Super Boxer

Do you show a lot in Texas? My male's handler is from Texas, he shows a lot there. I think he would give you a real honest opinion. My Breeder is a judge and she is real positive about the plain Boxer, just a paint job.

5. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

6. Titus-n-me

Titus-n-me Boxer Pal

the list- thank you!

Thank you for the judge list! I appreciate it! I've pretty much given up on showing Titus. He hates it! He will prance and pose outside of the ring but as soon as we enter and he realizes people are watching him- he slouches!!! not only that he refuses to keep his stance. This is a dog who has been taught this from the time he was brought home! He has been in show ring classes since he was old enough to participate! I was so angry- I could have just spit. He waited for the perfect time to make Mommy look dumb! We went in for his class- open dogs- he did wonderfully- they put him up first (this was a match) then we went in for best of breed- he had had enough. I wouldn't have been surprised if he had laid down and went to sleep- that is how bored he looked. That did it for me. He loves to watch- but the show dog spirit he does not posess. he knows he's wonderful- he doesn't care if other people agree with him! What a stinker! I would so love to have a true show dog- one who loves competing and showing off- I guess this what all of us want. Thank you for your responses though-

7. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Plain show dog

I bred a lovely plain fawn male that is only needing his final Major and is 19 months old. When showing a plain they have got to have 200% the quality of the flashier marked dogs. They also have to DEMAND the win. They have to catch the judge's eye.

Here is Speaker: http://www.angelfire.com/ca5/boxerkids/speaker.html

Yes, it can be done :)

8. JTPappy

JTPappy Guest

Over 50% of the Service Dog Boxers in the USA are black faced fawns. "plain" in the general sense. White chests, toes and perhaps a white blaze bewteen the eyes is included in this stat. I only bring that up because at Westminster two weeks ago one breeder said she did not consider Caesar (marked as above) as "plain".

As I have said in other places, the next most common color is White (Checks included). It appears that if you don't include visitation Therapy Dogs, this color split continues through all
    Working Boxers in the USA (Military, Law Enforcement, Resident Therapy Boxers, Assisted Therapy Boxers, Ranch Boxers, etc.) That's a total of over 3000 Boxers curently working in the USA. The figures in Canada ae similar. European, Aussie, Asian Working Boxers tend to a bit more flash in their populations.

There is a very good reason why fawns and whites (and then "plain" Brindles) are so predominant in the Working Boxer world.The predominance of plains is only partly responsible for this. Because plains are not desirable in the show ring, and whites are never seen there, more high quality plains and whites are available to be selected for Working occupations. It should be noted that plains in the Working life are also the healthiest. Fawns first, brindles second. Whites however do better health wise than flashies. Again I go back to the high quality of the available Boxer pool in those color/markings.

The oldest currently working Service Dog of any breed is a white boxer Guide Dog who puts in
    very hectic day's work every day.
    She'll be 16 next month. Over 80% of the service dog Boxers, age 12 or more, are plain fawns.

I'd be interested in any stats on realative health and markings with show Boxers.

Jim

9. Elizabeth Davis

Elizabeth Davis Boxer Pal

my plain champion

I'm new to this board. Not new to Boxers though. I have a plain reverse brindle male champion. I finished him from the bred by exhibitor class under breeder judges only. He never got a point under any all arounder!!

10. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Welcome

Welcome Beth!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.