1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peyton will NOT go outside after dark (long)

Discussion in 'Behavioral Issues' started by Indy B's Mom, Sep 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indy B's Mom

Indy B's Mom Boxer Insane

DH and I are trying everything we can to coax Peyton to go out after dark and it's not working. When she came to us 6 months ago, she had frostbite on her ears (along with some other "neglect" issues). It didn't take us long to figure out that she must have been put outside at night, because she gets upset about going out then. Any other time, she will listen to us or follow Tyler but we cannot convince her that she won't be left out there. We feel terrible that she seems to be afraid of going out at night and have tried every positive method we can think of-we hope maybe someone will have another idea for us to try. She holds her potty all night and has never had an accident, but I worry about her health since she holds it for so long. In the summertime, it stays light fairly late, so it hasn't been too bad but I worry with winter coming. It gets dark here around 5:00pm and I don't want her trying to hold it for 12-14 hours until it gets light out. We have tried treats, lots of praise and extra lovins for night potties. We only have her out to potty, then right back in so it's less stressful, but now she just plain refuses to go out and we don't want to make it worse for her. We even tried putting her leash on thinking maybe it would be better if she was "connected" to us. The leash seemed to really upset her (only at night, otherwise she's great about her leash). It's heartbreaking to us that she was so traumatized by her first humans and she seems to trust us 100%, except for this one issue. If anyone has any other ideas on how to make this positive for her, we would appreciate any input. Thanks!!

2. JaredKyah

JaredKyah Boxer Booster

I'm a relatively new boxer parent, so take this advice from where it comes. Have you tried taking him out on a leash while it is still light and then staying out with him until it is dark? (as the days get shorter, the time in between dusk and dark will decrease as well, so it won't be that long of a delay) It may take some getting used to, but maybe that will remove his fears about being outside in the dark?

3. Indy B's Mom

We haven't tried that while she's on a leash. We are outside quite a bit on our porch until later at night and she seems to be okay to lay on the porch, but she will not go out into the yard to potty. She enjoys hanging out with us and our friends, but won't leave our sides once it's dark. Ty is the complete opposite-he would love to play in the grass all night chasing bugs lol. During the day, Peyton is quite independent and will go in and out all day long. Maybe I will try having her on a leash out in the yard while it's getting dark and see if that helps, but when we tried the leash before she got really upset. It's just so hard to watch her being fearful and we try not to coddle her about it, but it is heartbreaking. Thanks for the idea, we appreciate it and will give it a shot!

4. JaredKyah

JaredKyah Boxer Booster

Sorry, I meant "she" :(

5. Indy B's Mom

Oh, you're fine! Peyton is definitely one of those names that can be for a boy or girl.

6. kscoleman

kscoleman Boxer Buddy

First of all, she's beautiful.

I know that this may be tough, and I'm a new boxer owner myself, but would it be possible to physically pick her up and bring her outside. I know that they are heavy, but if it is possible it may help her to get used to being out at dark. And, obviously, never leave her out at dark by herself. At least not for a while, until she gets comfortable going out at night.

7. Cerberus2

Cerberus2 Boxer Buddy

Could you maybe install some flood lights? We have a motion censor light at the door and then we have two huge spotlights out back. It lights it up really well.

8. Indy B's Mom

We do have 1 motion light and 1 large flood light, plus the 2 porch lights and we put those on for her and Ty. We have 1/2 acre fenced in for them, so it doesn't quite illuminate the entire yard, but the whole middle section of the yard is lit with those lights. We could try the suggestions to carry her out there, but I have a feeling that she will freak out and try to bolt back in and I am so worried about making things worse for her. She is already an anxious girl-poor baby had it pretty rough the first 15 months of her life. We do appreciate all the ideas and hope that something will work so she doesn't end up with UTIs or bladder infections or just plain feeling crummy because she has to pee. Thanks again everyone!

kscoleman-thank you for the compliment about Peyton! She is a beautiful girl with a beautiful soul and we are so lucky that she has joined our family!

9. BasilBox

BasilBox Super Boxer

Poor baby. that breaks my heart- I do not understand why some people get dogs. :( at least she was lucky enough to get a new home. think of all the dogs that live their whole shortened life like that. :( i just dont get it....

10. Kathie11

Kathie11 Super Boxer

What about trying to take her to potty in front of the house. Put on her leash and take her for a quick walk outside and then after few days do the same thing but bring her back through a gate into the backyard (if you have one) and from there enter the house. Once she feels comfortable doing this maybe then try putting on the leash go out the front door and then immedietely enter the back yard from the gate. Then try just taking her on a leash directly to back yard. And if this work then you can take her off leash there and hopefully eventually she will feel comfortable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.