1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petsmart is Against Show People???

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Tam319, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddy'smom

buddy'smom Boxer Pal

I am almost positive there is WAY more to this story than what is said. Seems very odd to me that a "Reputable" breeder feels the need to set up a stand in front of a store to socialize her dogs.

Jean

2. Jeanne

Jeanne Guest

Yep, there's more to the story. Here's what came across one of my dog lists:

>>Keith talked to Dan Tisch, the customer service manager mentioned in the
    >>original email. And, as I suspected, Petsmart has a different view of the
    >>situation.

Now both the Area Director and the store manager in Round Rock haven't been
    there 7 years - only 1 1/2. During that time, the Dachshund breeder in
    question has not had permission to set up in front of their store. She only
    started doing that a bit ago. There would not have been any problem with
    that except that they began having customers complain that she was pestering
    them repeatedly to "come pet her puppies." Because several customers
    complained, they asked her to cease setting up by their store. She could
    bring her dogs in while she shopped (as any other customer), but could not
    set up the grooming table, etc. outside.

As far as this breeder's phone calls to Mr. Tisch, again we get a
    differentinterpretation of what actually happened. There was never any
    mention of Petsmart not wanting breeders at their stores. But, Mr. Tisch did
    say that he tried to explain to her that her solicitations of their
    customers was contrary to the company's anti-solicitation policy. This
    individual did not want to hear that and became rude and demanding. The
    first call ended up with her hanging up on him. The second with her threat
    of all breeder/exhibitors boycotting Petsmart unless she was allowed to
    continue setting up by the Round Rock store.

Now, I'm not going to make any judgements here on line. It's for each of you
    to decide this for yourselves.

Please crosspost this to all the lists that carried the original email.

3. FlashyTitus

FlashyTitus Super Boxer

I take Titus to Petsmart all of the time. One of the groomers that works there came out and encouraged me to start showing Titus. Every time we go in there the employees come over a speak to Titus. In fact, there was a man in front of Petsmart one day that had 6 Jack Russel Terriers on leashes standing in front of the store. He wasnt promoting a sale but anyone in their right mind knew what he was doing there. I would have asked him to leave if I had been the manager of the store. They also promote socializing in their training classes. O.K. I have said enough.:p

4. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Couldn't he have just been socializing a litter of pups? I took our pups to PetsMart often...all 4 at the same time on leash. I wasn't there to buy anything (I don't often buy things from petsmart) but selling a pup was the last thing on my mind (in fact they weren't available). I simply wanted to socialize the heck out of these babies before sending them off to their new homes.:)

Another time I was standing in front of petsmart with our 3 adult dogs on leash...just standing there. I guess the many people that went in and out of the store while I stood there (for 30-45 minutes) could have thought I was up to no good but actually it was a hot day out and I was keeping the dogs in the shade while waiting on my husband to install the new gate we had just purchased for the Blazer. It never crossed my mind that someone might think I was up to no good.:(

5. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

No offense, but I probably would have assumed that you were hoping to sell the puppies if I had seen you standing outside of Petsmart with a litter of puppies. Unfortunately there are more breeders out there with bad intentions than there are with good, so that would have been a natural guess on my part. Not that I doubt your intentions or see anything wrong with wanting to socialize your puppies -- I just think you are in the minority, unfortunately. I would probably be a little less suspicious of someone actually shopping and buying things in the store with multiple puppies than someone just hanging out outside.

6. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

Just want to clarify that each time I had the pups at PetsMart I was inside. IMO, the pups would be exposed to more things *inside* the store instead of just standing outside the store.:)

The time I *was* hanging outside PetsMart was with adult dogs...I had spent 30-45 mins inside first trying to look as if I was shopping:LOL: (while I waited for my husband) but that can only last for so long...finally just went outside and stood.:)

Anyway, no offense taken and I now know what some might think of me when I take a litter of pups to be socialized...this makes no difference, however, because I will continue to do so. PetsMart is a *great* place to socialize a dog. I'm not gonna pass up the opportunity because of what some might think.:) I tend not to judge people so never gave it much thought as to what others might be thinking either...;)

BTW ~ I would never set up a table outside the store or ask anyone to pet my dog/pups. IMO, that's pushing it a bit far AND just because someone is at PetsMart doesn't mean they are a dog person!!:eek:

7. alaska

alaska Boxer Booster

I agree, setting up a table infront of any store is odd. If she is truly a show breeder, I would think she would be in more contact with her local kennel club and socialize her dogs through any local dog clubs in her area, Or even puppy classes. I try to never judge someone or a company in this matter, for what one person has said. Because we all know people can blow things out of proportion.:(

8. Rowdy's Dad

Rowdy's Dad Guest

Rowdy could use another tug toy, and a large Kong would be nice.

Thanks, Donald

9. Boxer_21

Boxer_21 Boxer Insane

I'm late to this thread, but I just wanted to say regardless of who's right and who's wrong, I don't see why a reputable breeder would want to set up a table in front of a petstore (even one as nice as Petsmart) to socialize the puppies. I've never heard of something as strange as this!! I personally don't agree with this form of "socialization".

As far as Petsmart goes. Even if this so called "reputable" breeder had permission to "socialize" her pups in this manner and was later kicked out by the new manager, it would not make me boycott the store. I would much rather go shopping at Petsmart than other "puppy mill shops" around here.

10. Scrapper's Mom

Scrapper's Mom Boxer Insane

I agree, there has to be more to this story. First of all, why would you take a litter of (most likely) unvaccinated puppies out in public where they would come in contact with all sorts of dogs who may or may not be healthy? I am skeptical. I've had good experiences at PetsMart so will continue to shop there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.