1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Petsmart is Against Show People???

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by Tam319, Dec 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

I was surprised when I read this. This message came from another list I am on. I find it sad because reputable breeders do so much work for their breed!

Tam
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Permission to cross post.

Dear Friends,

A friend of mine who shows standard smooth Dachshunds called me today to let me know that PetsMart doesn't want "people like her" at their stores. For the past 7 years she has--with permission from store management--set up a grooming table outside the PetsMart store in Round Rock, Texas (store #195) in order to socialize and show train her show puppies.

Today(12-17-02), a new assistant manager accused her of selling puppies and told her to leave. She protested that she was not selling any puppies and furthermore HAD no puppies to sell, but was just socializing and training her dog. My friend, upon arriving home, called the PetsMart corporate offices to complain and spoke to the customer service manager who only identified himself as "Dan."

Dan informed her that PetsMart does not "want her kind" at their stores. When she asked him to clarify what he meant, he said, "we do not wish to promote people like you."

She asked, "do you mean people who exhibit dogs?"

He said yes--they only want to encourage people to adopt homeless pets. There are already too many dogs in the world and if you show dogs, that means you breed dogs.

She then asked, "so does this mean you no longer want me to shop in your stores?"

To paraphrase what he said, they certainly want show people to spend money in their stores, but not socialize their dogs--at least not the way most show people socialize dogs. PetsMart believes that socializing only means allowing the dogs to interact with other dogs on the premises.

When he told her that, she said, "so I should allow my 20 pound puppy who only stands 4 inches off the ground to interact with some huge Rottweiler whose owner has no control over the dog?"

His response was yes.

When she called a second time to demand a letter of apology and a letter granting her permission to socialize her dogs HER way, he started backpedaling and claiming she was twisting his words. The overall tone of the two conversations was that show people ONLY care about selling puppies and care NOTHING about the many homeless dogs out there. Considering the large number of show people I know PERSONALLY who are active in rescuing dogs of their chosen breeds (myself included), I find this narrow-mindedness appalling and indicative of a PETA mindset in PetsMart's corporate offices.

>From this moment forward I will be boycotting PetsMart and encourage everyone on these lists to do the same until the requested apology is forthcoming. This means I will willingly pay a few dollars more to shop at Petco, but at least I know I am welcome there.

Please join me in boycotting PetsMart. This message has been cc'd to their Customer Service office. For the benefit of that office, the combined number of people on the lists to which I have posted this directly is over one thousand. With permission to crosspost to other lists, this will quickly swell to many thousands of people across the country who not only patronize PetsMart, but show dogs. If PetsMart is listening, they will do the right thing and apologize and allow dog owners to choose how they wish to socialize their dogs when visiting PetsMarts.

Permission to crosspost granted.

Rhonda
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any comments? I've only been to Petsmart once or twice, and always without my dogs so I can't really say.

Tam

2. explortainment

explortainment Boxer Booster

If you go out of your way to boycot petsmart, the company that finds homes for homeless animals, there is something wrong with you. But then again, so is setting up a table and standing outside of a pet store for 7 years...is that the only way to socalize or show train a dog? very odd, sorry, i wish i could get back the 2 minutes i spent reading that post......... i'm going to petsmart, anyone need anything?

3. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

I'm not saying I'm boycotting Petsmart...I've only been there twice! I have no personal experience with them. I much prefer to shop somewhere that supports adoption rather than somewhere that sells puppymill puppies (like Petland). I found this message rather odd because why would a reputable company turn away a reputable breeder after first giving her permission? Unless of course she wasn't reputable to begin with. I don't know this person personally. I was just hoping to get some comments from people that acutally shop at Petsmart. This message is flooding some online dog lists and I was hoping that someone who knows more about it could shed some light on the situation.

I have to agree with you about the table outside the pet store though. It seems a little fishy like perhaps she was trying to get exposure to later sell her puppies. There are other places she could have went.

Tam

4. Eric J

Eric J Boxer Insane

OK, I don't understand her problem. Petsmart/Petco and the ilk are stores where pet owners (regardless of show, pet or service) can go to purchase supplies and bring the pet along with them. It is not a place to set up a grooming table and hang out. Sorry but I know there are other ways available to socialize without taking up space at a business without paying rent. Dog Parks, walks through neighborhoods, dog clubs, obedience classes, etc.

I would also have to see a transcript of the conversation, because frankly from your description I doubt this women was all polite and businesslike on the phone. I would hazard a guess she was agressively argumentative.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2002
  5. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

I think this is only one side to a two sided story. Emotions can get heated and many words exchanged for one reason or another, we only have her account of it. Petsmart may not support breeders, and by that I mean they do not have charitable funds set up for them nor allow them to showcase puppies in their stores, however, I don't believe they are against EVERYONE who breeds and doesn't want them in their store. If this woman only had one puppy with her, I doubt they would have known she was a breeder. She would have had to have been doing something to bring attention to herself, other than socializing A dog. We are missing vitale pieces to that story, IMO. Petsmart does a wonderful job of saving the lives of many homeless animals and provides most needed funds to rescue organizations and shelters through Petsmart Charities--this is no small feat and should not be overlooked. Those that supposedly breed and do rescue I would think would be most grateful to Petsmart for what they do.

Breeding is a touchy subject to many. You will find alot of people who think if the dog comes with a health guarantee or from health tested stock that they dealt with a reputable breeder. There are many kennels out there that breed quality dogs from champion and health tested parents--that's great if you are looking for a name. To me, there is more to it. I'm looking for a well bred, healthy puppy who comes from a breeder with integrity and insight. Some of those same kennels that produce those quality puppies never have a shortage of puppies either--what does that tell you? There is a fine line in breeding, I believe. You hear alot of how it's a quest for the perfect boxer, for some that is true. Maybe it's true for all of the "reputable" breeders, just that some of those feel mass producing may give them a leg up on the competition :mad: Hey and they are health tested, so why not smashicon

Those who don't participate in this sort of breeding will know exactly what I am referring to, those that do, may find my post insulting. I don't know this woman's reputation as a breeder, but if she mass produces even though she shows and health tests, kudos to Petsmart for not wanting her business :)

6. Aimee

Aimee Boxer Insane

I missed the part that said she had a table outside the store :eek: I feel that Petsmart definantly had the right to show her the door. Petsmart is not the facility for breeders to be using to find business for future litters. That can be compared to a breeder bringing in litters of puppies to a shelter and selling those to the people who would have been potential adopters for the dogs in waiting, meanwhile they all get euthanized due to the lack of adopters :mad: There is a time and place for everything, Petsmart is dedicated for homeless animals--period.

7. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

I'm glad to hear good things about Petsmart. This message is indeed very one sided. It sounds like it does a lot of good for the dog community. It really irks me that places like Petland that display humane society dogs are considered to be "charitable and good" when only 10 feet away they have crowded displays of puppy mill puppies:mad:

Tam

8. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

I also suspect that there is more to the story, and find it odd that she can only socialize her puppies by setting up a grooming table in front of the store. I know some people have had bad experiences with PetsMart, but I haven't had any problems with the two in my area. I'd run out of options if I didn't go to PetsMart because I do not want to buy anything from a store that sells puppies. The only store in my area that I know other than PetsMart specializes in food -- they have a fabulous supply of premium foods, but a very limited selection of toys and other pet supplies. Catalogs are great, but sometimes I want to go to a store and pick up what I need. PetsMart works for me.

9. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

I hope you don't mind that I posted a message on the original board with your guys' comments (I didn't mention any names) about how Petsmarts main concern is homeless animals, not a breeder showcase. I hope this helps stop the smear campaign that "Rhonda" has started.

Thanks,

Tam

Last edited: Dec 19, 2002
  10. bustermom

bustermom Boxer Insane

Personally, I am a big fan of PetSmart. It's wonderful to be able to bring your pets in for socializing and getting experience being in crowds and narrow aisles and such things.

The ones in our area have permanent areas set aside for kitten/cat adoptions, and host frequent dog adoption fairs in conjunction with the local shelters and rescue groups (usually greyhound rescue, at least every time I go!).

They also have a grooming service, and will trim nails/clean ears for a very modest fee while you wander around the store. (I handle these things for my own kids, but some people have a real hard time with nails so I think this is a great thing).

I wasn't real thrilled with the local private dog training schools, so we checked out what was offered at PetSmart. The resident trainer has a wonderful background, breeds/shows/rescues Australian Shepherds, and always has a dog or two with her in the store (crated or not, depending on the dog). Buster and I went through the puppy class and tomorrow are finishing up the advanced obedience. Love her methods, and Buster is one well-behaved pup. She says he's trained me well. :D

Overall, as a company, their philosophies appear to run parallel to mine, so I have no complaints. They're not perfect, but they seem to try to do what is right by the animals. I also support them because it's nice to get a corporate powerhouse on the side of animal rescue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.