Pet Plan insurance

LoveMyDoggie

Boxer Insane
I have Daisy's insurance through Healthy Paws. I like that I was able to pick the deductible I wanted and I loved the reviews I found on line about the company. Of course Boxer insurance is not cheap but if I would have medical bills in the future with her it would be worse. I could actually get insurance cheaper for my 6 year old Lab than what I am paying for my 18 month old Boxer.

Tuff Love

Boxer Insane
We have Petplan. I like it, but often wonder if there's anything better out there (and by better I mean cheaper haha).

What I like:
Predictable coverage.... no surprises and no caps on coverage. They also cover breed specific issues. They DO NOT cover routine care or preventatives, but usually insurance companies that do reimburse very little of it anyways.

What I don't like:
My premium has gone up quite a bit and I question how high it will go from here. My girl is 4 and our $200 deductible/90% coverage plan just went from $39/month to $50/month... that's over $120/year. Quite a spike in my opinion.

When I have time I will probably start feeling out other companies. New ones pop up all the time. Some people like TruPanion. Petplan has been fantastic. My only complaint is the rising premium cost.

I DO NOT recommend VPI. I don't know if things have changed, but we had it with our last boxer and they had unrealistic payout caps on absolutely everything. For example, they only covered $800 of a $1700 MRI because $800 was the payout cap. With Petplan we would have gotten $1350 back. They also do not (or did not) cover breed specific issues (like hip dysplasia). They do cover routine care, but like I said above, it was very little.

We have really given our insurance a workout over the years, so I do feel like it continues to have value for us.

Last edited: