1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People think Boxers are dumb??!

Discussion in 'The Boxer Ring' started by betsyjean, Feb 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. betsyjean

betsyjean Boxer Booster

I need some confirmation...I KNOW from all the research I've done that boxers are very smart dogs!! Well, it seems a lot of people that I tell I am getting a Boxer soon, they say~oh they are so dumb! What's with that?? My boyfriend was just on the phone with his parents and he told them about me buying this pup soon, and they both said that Boxers are really dumb dogs!! Excuse me?! Thanks for being excited for me...that's the only thing they said :mad: Also, one day we were walking outside and we saw a lady with a Boxer...of course I went right up to her! She said~yes they are beautiful but so dumb. Where is everyone getting this, I thought they were so smart! Or should I say I know, these people must not know anything. I want to prove to these people. My bf's dad said that if we saw a list of dog's intelligence, they wouldn't even be moderate. I was fuming. Is there really somewhere where I can look to see which dog's are more intelligent and which aren't? I don't even know if there's such a thing but I want to prove to them!! smashicon

Betsy

2. SweetGirlie1400

SweetGirlie1400 Super Boxer

Boxers are only inteligence when the OWNER knows how to put his inteligent to use and train!! people with boxers who just let there boxers do whatever and not give them the proper exercise and do not set rules for the dog are going to hav ethere hands full because the boxer then feels like HE is the leader of the pac and does what HE thinks is appropriet.. as for learning POTENTIAL the boxer is VERY inteligent and will learn things quickly, HOWEVER they can be stubborn because they get board quickly, so lessons should always be fun and its god to give them something new to learn every so often to keep them happy because they LIKE to learn! I hope that helped a little lol... I reccomend the book BOXERS FOR DUMMIES its wonderful and what a guide book :D

3. SammynDqtz

SammynDqtz Boxer Insane

Boxers are not dumb... only sometimes stubborn. My boxer boy is a very smart guy, he know basic obedience, a few tricks, and knows the names of many things around the house, such as bed, toy, treat, outside, inside, leash, let's go bye bye and a ton more. It just takes time and be consistent. And be sure training is fun for your boxer and he'll get it! ;)

4. Tulsa-Dan

Tulsa-Dan Your Friendly Moderator

I've helped train lots of breeds and none are any smarter than a Boxer. One just has to know how to key into that intelligence and once you do, they are incredible. The most human of dogs I've ever experienced.

I say it is those people's loss if they think Boxers are dumb. We Boxer lovers/owners sure know that the joke is on them!! :)

5. Scrapper's Mom

Scrapper's Mom Boxer Insane

Not only are they intelligent, but they are incredibly intuitive and sensitive. Your BF's parents are misinformed. You should look up and tell them about all they did for the German Army during WWI. I was just reading an article about the only SAR Boxer who was at the World Trade Center site. Boxers are also therapy dogs and guide dogs. Innumerable are the stories of how Boxers have put themselves between their owner or their owner's children and danger. They aren't as blindly obedient as some other breeds because they need to understand why you want them to do something and then they have to be motivated to do it. Some people don't want to take the time to figure them out so they make that assumption. By no stretch of the imagination are they "dumb" in any way. That comment just indicates your BF's parents' complete lack of knowledge about the Boxer breed. That other woman who owned the Boxer and made a similar comment is obviously not in tune at all with her dog. Too bad, it's her loss.

6. Julie445

Julie445 Super Boxer

I wouldn't worry about what other people say, we all know how intelligent and wonderful the breed is. After you get your puppy and take him/her to training classes they will soon see how smart they are and what great companions they can be. They definately can be stubborn lol but that does not mean they aren't understanding what you are saying to them. I taught Ozzy to sit at 8 wks, his first night home with us and after only a few attempts. He understands so many, many words, especially dinner or treat lol. Don't let what they say deter you from experiencing the love of a Boxer.

7. Marisa

Marisa Boxer Booster

I have also heard many things regarding boxers that were sooo not true. I believe boxers are actually too smart for their own good, when something gets repetetive they get bored and see no point in continueing. I believe they use their own judgement to do things, if they think its worth doing.... they will. They're not little robots they have their own characters and opinions too ;) Too smart .......... not at all dumb smashicon

(Maybe some dumb owners that cant dont know how to communicate with their own dog though.... LOL)

8. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

Many people confuse stubborn with dumb.
    Boxers are stubborn!
    They are also very driven by reason.
    A boxer will question why he is required to "DO" something.
    Give him a jolly good reason and he will turn sommersaults for you!!!

Scenario,
    Human training a boxer.
    Rover SIT!

Rover thinks to himself: ,
    "Now why should I sit? Can she give me a good reason to?.

Rover sit!

Rover looks:
    Oh I see , she will give me a treat if I sit. Well it better be a darn good one! "

Rover come;
    Rover thinks to himself:
    "Wheres that wabbit gone?"

Rover come here!!!;

Rover thinks:
    " Blah, blah, blah. Now wheres that wascally wabbit, I can smell him"

Rover Come , good boy!!!

Rover thinks ,
    "Oh ok, but that treat thingy better be mighty FINE! Oh she giving me a hug! I LOVE hugs!!!

So you see theres an awful lot going on in a boxers head.
    Stupid he is NOT! :D
    Stubborn and preoccupied he is a master at.

9. Sherry

Sherry Boxer Booster

The Smartest Dogs we have ever owned

Our dogs are the most incredibely smart dogs ever. Their vocabulary is tremendous. There are so many words that we spell just because we don't want a bunch of maniacs running around and getting excited just because they understand so much of what we say. We talk to them all the time and it's so great watching their faces as they light up with understanding. Sometimes we feel like we've created monsters they're so very smart.

Dumb, neverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sherry,

Taz, Maggie & Seger's Mom

10. Billysmum

Billysmum Boxer Insane

I read an article the other day saying that Boxers are the clumsiest breed.

What they were actually compiling was a list of dogs most often needing vet treatment.

First came the Boxer and second was the Rottweiler.

The two breeds that I have!

Admittedly Billy has been to the vet on quite a number of occasions, I would really say that we was clumsy!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.