1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parvo shots and Kennel cough

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by dliontis, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dliontis

dliontis Boxer Pal

We took our puppy to the vet 72 hours after we got him, just for a puppy checkup. His 8 week shots were given already. However we were concerned about Parvo and kennel cough. The vet had said we were to make an appt for every 2 weeks for there on for boosters until the puppy is at 16 weeks????? That seems like a lot. He is 10 weeks now. Is the vaccination schedule suppose to go 8,12,16? How many parvo shots does the puppy need? Also when is kennel cough vaccination allowed to be given?

2. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

I'd HIGHLY recommend you skip the kennel cough vaccination. It doesn't stop them from getting it as it only protects against one strain (Bordatella) and there are thousands of strains. Kennel cough is basically like you or me getting a human cold. The dogs are sick for 1-3 weeks, they get a runny nose, cough, your typical "cold symptoms" it's really not a huge deal. But overvaccinating can be a huge deal so the less you have to give the better off you are. (I don't think it can be given until 6 months, however I'm not 100% sure as I do not give it to any of my dogs).

On the vaccination schedule, typically it's every 3 weeks or so until they're 16-18 weeks. In my area we're required to get the Rabies vaccination at 12 weeks. Yes they typically get 4 sets of shots and all sets include Parvo. Then they get a 1 year booster 1 year from when they had their last set so they're usually around 15 months or so for their 1 year boosters.

Good luck!

3. honeybunny

honeybunny Boxer Pal

yep!

i didnt realize that either until i had my first dog (which is a boxer). we went in for second shots which i was prepared for, and then asked when i wanted her next booster shots to be done and i was like umm... didnt we just do that!? we went back for 3rd shots and then did rabies when she was old enough. now we're good for another year from last march.

thats good information about kennel cough - something i didnt know. i always heard it was such a big "scare", and where i live, most kennels wont let the dogs in unless they have proof of kennel cough vaccination along with rabies etc.

4. whiskers

whiskers Boxer Insane

Every 2 weeks is a lot, yes. Typically boosters are given every 3-4 weeks until they're 16 weeks old. Each set of shots includes distemper, hepatitis, parainfluenza, and parvo.

The bordetella vax can be given as young as 12 weeks. The injection needs to be boostered in 3-4 weeks, and then annually after that. The intranasal one does not need a 3-4 week booster. You don't have to have your pup vaccinated for this, but it is required if you plan on taking him to any training classes, daycare, or if you ever need to board him. Otherwise kennel cough is not usually a big deal, in fact I think Juno had kennel cough shortly after being vaccinated. It's not something that I would normally choose to vaccinate my dogs against, but Juno goes places where it's required, so that's that.

5. BxrMommieNAZ

BxrMommieNAZ Boxer Insane

It's just because it's contagious. Many human daycares are doing this with children and the flu shot as well. Not that it's so "dangerous" or "scarey" just that it's contagious and they try to eliminate what they can for contagious outbreaks. I pet sit in my home and do not require vaccinations depending upon the situation and the client so there are ways around it. You can always do pet sitters or board in a private home or have a friend watch them when you have to go out of town in order to bypass boarding at a facility.

Good luck.

6. dodgeandmar

dodgeandmar Boxer Booster

I didn't know about the kennel cough vaccine either until I got Marlee and the vet told me she didn't really need it unless she was going to around other dogs a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.