1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pancreatitis feeding (fat percentage?)

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by Saara, Mar 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saara

Saara Boxer Buddy

Roxy has been pancreatitis free for for almost 9 months now. She is currently on Canidae platinum (for seniors and overweight-8.5% fat, 20 % protein) and is doing great, once in a while she gets Wysong au jus (95% beef-7% fat or 100% rabbit-7% fat) as well as low or non-fat treats. I want to change her food as I feel she is still to young to be on a senior diet, she is 5 (48-49lbs) and was wondering if I could move her to Canidae beef and fish (rated 5 star on dogfoodanalysis.com...platinum is rated only 3) with a fat percentage of 12% and 24% protein.

When she got her second bout of pancreatitis within a month of the first they said it may be chronic so she needs low fat for the rest of her life. I understand that may be the case but I also think she may not have fully recovered from the first bout before having a relapse. She has been as healthy as a horse since we moved back to the US and I feel now would be a good time to switch her food. Or perhaps do half and half for a while....

Any advice is appreciated.

2. bucksteemom2

bucksteemom2 Boxer Insane

My boxer Steeler has chronic severe Pancreatitis. It is difficult on their systems to switch foods. If you want to try a different food it seems to be easier if you slowly introduce a new one. This will make it easier for you to see if she has an episode while you are introducing the food then she probably should not be switched. I have personally found that it is not necessarily the low fat but also to keep a low or no grain diet. I will be interested to see how she handles a new food if you switch her. I am always reading posts on Pancreatits to find more ways to help Steeler:)

3. Loladog

Loladog Boxer Booster

Having had a dog who suffered from Chronic Pancreatitis, I would personally stick with the low-fat diet that is working for Roxy. I know how hard it is to feed a high carb, low-fat diet but if it's working for him, I don't know that I would change anything. I've read that with some dogs who have acute Pancreatitis, you can put them back on a regular diet with no problems. However, it really depends on the dog and if it's chronic, you're always at risk for a relapse. Everything I've read indicates that you need to keep them on a diet with less than 10% fat. You also need to remember that canned food is higher in fat and you need to convert it to "dry matter basis" in order to compare the fat % to dry kibble diets. I learned a lot on the following website:

DogAware.com Articles: Healthy Low-Fat Diets for Dogs

Good luck!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.