1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Painful Dewclaws

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by Tam319, Dec 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tam319

Tam319 Guest

My 2 year old boy came "au' natural" as in ears, tail and dew claws. He was born underneath an old barn and wasn't given much attention for his first 2 months of life. Regardless, he is a beautiful wonderful boy!

My problem is that his intact dewclaws have been bothering him. Sometimes when he comes in from outside his paws are all bloody. I've noticed the source of this blood is his dewclaws - on both front feet. They only bleed when he is actively playing outside. They are tender to touch. I think that they must tear and get caught on things when he is playing roughly.

Has anyone else ever had these problems with intact dewclaws? I would get them removed if I thought it would be worth all the pain he'd have to go through, if I could even get my vet to do it. Wouldn't it be considered amputation at his age? Any ideas?

I hate to see my baby in so much pain!

Tamara

2. muttersley

muttersley Completely Boxer Crazy

I believe that if he keeps getting them caught it might be an option to get them removed now. Belle has her dew claws and has never had a problem with them yet. ( she is only 8 months). All my previous dogs apart from Tess have had their claws intact and they have never been torn etc. I wonder if it's because boxers play so much with their front feet? Bless him, he must be sore, its bad enough when we tear a nail! :(

3. MandyMom

MandyMom Completely Boxer Crazy

I had wondered the same about Casey, he still has his dewclaws also. They do not bother him though.
    Just my opinion, if I were you I would have them removed. It may be painful to him to have it done, but it would be over and they would not be bleeding all the time. My vet would still do it at 2 yrs. I am going to get Casey's done if they ever bother him.

4. catcompany

catcompany Banned

Draco has his dew claws and it doesnot bother--but if it bothers your pup I guess you should have it removed....all the best with your puppy!!! :)

5. Debbie Magon

Debbie Magon Boxer Pal

Definately have the surgery done. The sooner the better. This is the very reason thet boxers need to have dew claws removed when only tiny.

If the claw is caught badly , it can rip the side of the leg open and become a real mess.

Another is they can grow into the side of the dogs leg very quickly and go unnoticed. A very painful condition indeed.

Your pup will need to be kept on minimal execise for a few weeks , but after that he will be fine.

6. Pierpoint

Pierpoint Boxer Booster

I think you should get them removed as well. Our last boxer kept ripping hers - she'd jump up on fences etc, then come in the house and I'd notice blood all over the floors and carpet (because they do bleed alot!). One time, she ripped it so bad that she kept chewing at it - felt better to her but actually made it worse. That was my first experience with dew claws.

When we got Bailey, as soon as we had him fixed, we also had his dew claws removed. I knew it would be the best thing I ever did. They healed very quickly - I really don't think he was in much discomfort. Because of the neutering, we had to keep him quiet anyway (i.e. no running) but just walking was fine. I know we all hate to put our babies under unless absolutely necessary but if yours keeps ripping them, an infection could occur which ultimately will be worse than having them removed.

Good Luck.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.