overseas travel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greta Girl

Boxer Pal
Please forgive me if this is the wrong place to post this question. I am hoping that folks who show their dog (and therfore travel) will be able to help me.

I am going to move from southern California to Germany by the end of the year. Does anyone have advice for shipping my 5 year old girl? This would be her first airplane trip and I am scared that she will be miserable and cold.

Net45582

Banned
Check with the airline on their requirements and recommendations. I imagine she will have to go into quarantine for a while once in Germany too. I've never shipped a dog but hope for the best.

She should do fine. I shipped my boxer from San Diego to Sicily--which ended up being almost 19 hours of travel time (including lay overs) and he did okay. And he was a very "sensitive" neurotic boxer to start with! I think I had a harder time with it than he did, honestly.

Be sure you start now looking into whatever vaccinations, bloodwork and titer tests are required to enter Germany (I don't think they are as strict as say, the UK or Hawaii, but it pays to be prepared!) Also--check your airlines--some have strict regulations regarding the times of year they will fly animals and many do not even fly them anymore at all!

If your boxer is not currently crate trained or familiar with the crate you will be using to fly her, I would strongly suggest you start letting her get comfortable with it now so it is not a scary and foreign concept to her. Keep it out and accessible so she starts to think of it as a positive place to be, leave it open and give her treats, etc in the crate and let her go in/out freely.

This site has some very basic but good info on moving to Germany with pets: http://www.coyotecom.com/germany/basics.html

I am not sure if you are a civilian or military but here is some other info--the following quote was taken from a military website for military members traveling overseas with pets (but would still be relavent even if you are not military!):

Germany does not have any quarantine for dogs and cats. Their law requires that pets must be vaccinated for rabies annually and the certificate kept current. An identification tag must be worn on the animal at all times and, when not confined, dogs must be on a leash. Germany does have a “Dangerous Dog” law that prohibits the breeding and trade of dangerous dogs. Dogs considered to be dangerous include: “Pitbulls, Stafford-shire terriers, American Stafford-shire terriers and any crossbreeds thereof.” These dogs are required to be neutered and must be registered with local authorities. They must also be on a leash and wear a muzzle whenever in public. Dangerous dog breeds can have a personality test conducted and, if passed, allows the dog to be in public without a muzzle. If your animal arrives separately from you (e.g. Lufthansa cargo), you MUST have an import permit to pickup the pet at the airport. This permit may be obtained from the Hessisches Sozialministerium in Wiesbaden, Germany at the cost of 50.50 DM (about $24). This office can be reached by calling 0611-81737223 or by emailing them at < a href="mailto:veteinfuhr@hsm.hessen.de">veteinfuhr@hsm.hessen.de. Enlist the help of your sponsor to help resolve any animal import concerns.

here is the link to the above quoted site: http://www.oconus.com/Main/eArticle.asp?52

Status
Not open for further replies.