1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Orijen and loose stools

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by sriley, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoxerDevotee

BoxerDevotee Boxer Pal

I switched my boy, who is 14 months old, to this kibble very gradually over ten days, and he is thriving on it. Until this change of diet, he had had mild colitis for several months. Thanks to Orijen Adult, this condition cleared up in less than a fortnight. No more loose stools.

I think the problem may be that you didn't transition your pups gradually enough. Also, over-feeding is often the cause of runny stools, so it is important to feed less rather than more, keep an eye on their weight and, if necessary, very slowly increase the daily amount of kibble over a week or so. I usually build up the quantity in half ounce steps.

I agree with H L Hendrix: given the high protein content of Orijen food, 3/4 of a cup three times a day seems a lot. My own boy, who weighs 50lbs - and is very busy! - is currently fed just over 12oz (two mugs) a day, divided into two meals, and this seems about right.

Have your tried giving your pups half a tablespoon of plain yogurt about ten minutes before each meal? It helps to build up their stomach flora and make their stools firmer.

2. kayboxer

kayboxer Boxer Insane

The fast switch and higher protein is likely the culprit. It can take a dog a month to get adjusted to a new food. As for the large breed formula, boxers are not a "large breed" dog, they are a medium breed. Large breed dog food is mainly a gimmic for pet food companies. Just another way to sell more food. Orijen is a very good food and I wouldn't stop feeding it, but don't be fooled by gimmics. ;)

3. Nika

Nika Boxer Pal

I agree with kayboxer that the poop issues are due to a fast switch and a higher protein content. However, I also believe it could be too much is being fed to your pups or maybe it's just the wrong formula for them. In the end, I pick answer D:All of the above.
    Orijen is a wonderful food and I have had my girl, on it for the past 2 1/2 years. I started her on the 'Adult' formula but found out she's allergic to chicken then switched over to the '6 Fish' formula and she thrived on it. Recently, I switched her over to Orijen's new 'Regional Red' formula just to give her some variety (who wants to eat the same thing for two more years!) and did it in a day with zero issues.
    I do find that when Nika's kibble intake and exercise ratio is off, she has loose poop. Which makes sense, if the body isn't using up what is being consumed, it get expelled in a gooey mess.

4. BoxerDevotee

BoxerDevotee Boxer Pal

>>I do find that when Nika's kibble intake and exercise ratio is off, she has loose poop. Which makes sense, if the body isn't using up what is being consumed, it get expelled in a gooey mess. <<

A very good point - particularly as Boxers are such high-energy dogs - and one we are inclined to forget.

5. sriley

sriley Completely Boxer Crazy

As stated above, had I of known my pups would have had issues with loose stools, I certainly would have done a more gradual change and I'm sure my vet never would have recommended the quick switch if she thought I would encounter problems. I trust my vet's advice as she, too, is a Boxer owner who feeds her boy Orijen, and I thought I was only doing what was best for the pups.

According to my vet, the logic behind prescribing a large breed forumula has to do with weight. Because Boxers are typically 50+ pounds, a large breed formula is appropriate. I understand that there are many schools of thought on this topic and your vet may tell you something different.

As for over-feeding, the bag of Orijen actually suggests feeding them quite a bit more than what they're currently getting. I appreciate the suggestion, but that doesn't appear to be the problem.

Lastly, unless the weather is absolutely horrible, my boys get out for a long, brisk walk, or an off-leash run in the park several times a day, so I don't believe that lack of exercise is to blame.

Thanks for all of your replies. Just a quick update: The switch to Orijen was made well over a month ago and while their stools are sometimes firm (usually first thing in the morning), other times they're still a thick, gooey mess. In time, I'm hoping the problem will resolve itself. I'm not the least big interested in switching back to a lower quality food just for the sake of firmer stools. My boys are gaining weight and are healthy, so I must be doing something right. Thanks again for the tips and advice.

6. deucenrox

deucenrox Boxer Pal

Thanks for the information on the bloat issues and the feeding tips. We have a medium size female (66lbs) and a very large male (116lbs solid muscle with a massive chest). My female picks at her food and takes her time but my male doesn't lift his head from the bowl until it is completely gone, no crumbs! Our vet advised us to feed them from bowls that are raised off the floor and closer to their faces to help with digestion and prevent bloat. What do you mean by 'reading its food to fast'?

We have been on a gradual transition for our male from Blue Buffalo to California Natural lamb and rice low fat, it has been two weeks and we are still doing half and half because his stools have been soft also. Our doc has told us because of his size, if we do not watch what we feed him he could become overweight very easily. He eats 5 cups of food a day (split between two feedings) and stays very active chasing the female around. She also wants us to add more fiber to his diet but I am holding off until he starts having normal bm's.

7. argosrocks

argosrocks Super Boxer

here's my suggestion,it may work,it may not, it does work for us,,,we love orijen,horizon legacy,wellness core,and any other premium ,high protein kibble,and what we do is add a teaspoon-tablespoon of pure pumpkin(not filling) to their meal for added fiber,it seems to firm their stools right up,not too much though or they will get constipated.you may want to give it a try,one can of pumpkin lasts us about 1 week or 2 ,so its very economical as well.

8. sriley

Thank you for the helpful tip, argosrocks. Where can I purchase pure pumpkin? Is it available in grocery stores?

9. Boxerrr

Boxerrr Boxer Pal

Just to add: we had the exact same issue. We gradually brought Bella onto the Orijen food, and her stool was very loose. We kept her on it for a while hoping her system would "firm it up", but it never did. We spoke to our vet who pointed to the high protein content. We changed her cold turkey to Framm Puppy Gold (still a "4 star" food from dogfoodanalysis.com) and her stool firmed up within a day.

We've kept her on it, and shes been thriving, very active, firm stools, very shiny coat.

10. sriley

Thanks so much, Boxrrr. It's nice to know that someone else has had the same issues with Orijen -- even after a slow, gradual change. I've never heard of Framm Puppy Gold, but I will definitely look into it. Provided the transition is done slowly, maybe switching foods is the solution. My boys have had plenty of time to adjust to Orijen and I'm still patiently waiting for firmer stools. I'm beginning to think that I'm waiting for something that just isn't going to happen with this particular food.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.