1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cami, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

What would you do in this situation?
    I spent about 2 hours in a furniture store yesterday and purchased a new bed.
    The bed itself was X amount and the cost of the headboard was extra.
    In total I paid $1496. Delivery in 8-10 weeks.
    About 3 hours later I get a call from the sales guy and he informs me that he neglected to include the cost of 2 additional pieces of the bed (something to do with the frame and foot board) and I need to pay an additional $386.
    He was extremely apologetic for his mistake. He also mentioned that he would understand if I canceled the order and I would be fully refunded.
    Had the price of the bed totaled nearly $1900 ($1882) while in the store I would NOT have made the purchase.
    I haven't purchased a bed in over 20 years so my memory isn't helpful but does this seem normal?
    I understand that sometimes headboards are not included in the price of the bed so I was fully prepared for that additional cost.

Talking with hubby we wondered WHAT IF the bed had been in stock and we took it with us after purchasing? Had they called after the fact in that scenario there is NO WAY we would have paid the additional money. Chalk it up to a mistake on their part and the cost would have to be absorbed by the company. DH says they should honor what they sold the bed to me for yesterday. He then said perhaps I ask if they would split the difference with me and the increase in price would be closer to just $200.
    I don't know what to do. I really NEED the bed and WANT the one I choose. I can't find another retailer in my area who carries anything from the same manufacturer but have spotted them in other areas. I could always call and inquire elsewhere and make the purchase online perhaps but we are desperate for a bed and waiting 8-10 weeks was pushing it already! Getting tired of having a mattress on the floor now.

What would you do?

2. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

It sounds a little strange to me. Since when do you pay extra for a frame. I would see if you can find it online cheaper and then negotiate for a lower price from the store.

3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

I'd buy a metal frame (cheap), then search around to find the bed you really want.

Or, say, "too bad" and tell them to honor the price you have already paid.

4. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

The salesman called me before the store opened to inform me of a few things he says he forgot to mention....
    Since the bed is a custom order they can have the heard board sized to order from me. This was in question yesterday and I had been told that the size was specific to the manufacturer. So, okay, that is a good thing.
    Also went on and on about the warranty and quality of the item as well. A true salesman!

I requested to speak with a supervisor (none available while we were on the phone). He called me back again and they are now offering to cover 1/2 of the additional charge and I would be responsible for $193 instead of $386.
    I'm still on the fence.

5. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

The saga continues....
    Still on the fence about coughing up the additional $193.
    I get out my paperwork and is has this little snippet on it...
    "Satisfaction"
    We are always accountable for our actions. Our owners can be reached locally @ this number.

So I call the number. Don't get an owner or at least he doesn't represent himself as such but I tell him the story.
    He was friendly to a point while I explained that I was not trying to be confrontational or annoying but I just wanted to know if this was common practice (to forgot additional costs). He assures me this is the first time he has encountered this scenario. He can't "go against the local stores supervisors" but he would call them or the salesperson and gather additional information.

DH says to just pay the money and be done with it. That is TOTALLY out of character for him. :D
    I still feel a bit bamboozled here and don't know what to do.
    Guess I am just going to wait and see what happens but I could easily walk away just on principle alone but darn it....I don't want to start the whole selection process over again. I have been looking for weeks and with the holidays coming I need to cross this off my to do list!

6. rrboxer

rrboxer Super Boxer

@ Cami,

That is annoying having to cough off add'l funds especially after I paid for what I thought was all the pieces to the bed set. However if I really liked the style I picked and I didn't think I would find anything else that I really liked that much in the end I would pay $193.00.

7. joannaryan

joannaryan Boxer Insane

I say chalk it off of your to do list and say ~Merry Christmas~ to me. If my DH said just give them the extra and be done with it, I wouldn't give it a second thought :) I hope things work out for you! I understand it's the principle of the whole situation, but if it's what you really want, I say go for it :)

8. LILYLARUE

LILYLARUE Boxer Insane

I would look at the "Profit vs. Hassle" ratio here. Pay $193 to end all the stress and worries. OR Spend days running store to store or shopping online. Gas money, time, sighs from hubby and stress = > $193 in my book. Yeah, listen to hubby.......take the deal! LOL

It is easy to say "It's the principle of the matter". BUT, as many others before you, they pay over principle cause the result of winning isn't really worth the hassle it will take. And most businesses don't even have principles any more. So loss of a purchase to them really doesn't mean a thing in their scope of profits. That thought process went out back in the 90's with customer service and reliable products.

It sucks, cause so many businesses "win" or profit over these types of mistakes. And trust me.......the mark up on that bed would most definitely cover their losses and still show profit if they never made you aware of THEIR mistake. Corporate Businesses just think of the bottom line of high profitability, not considerate of customer loyalty. Let's face it, today, loyalty has gone out the window with empathy and morals. It's all about the almighty dollar. Where's the "care" of customers? Where's the loyalt TO customers? Why has businesses forgotten that it's their loyal customers that pay the rent and salaries every week? Its such a shame. In this economy, they should be grateful that you made a purchase at all. It's disturbing that they are so profit concious that they can't see that they will lose future sales to you because of this one $400 mistake on their part. Crazyiness.

But all these thoughts come from a start-up small business owner who shows little profit and treats each customers as they are the reason I am in business. As much as I would love huge profits so I can make my monthly donations bigger and to more rescues.......I just can't treat my customers as a monetary object. I want to give the best service, the best products and be available for any custom designs to give my customers what they want and show them what they can expect from me. I have made errors on my orders, where I had to eat the mistake, and often, take money from my own pocket to cover the percentage donations. I just would never contact my customer to make them aware of it. I guess I am more old school than I thought.

9. Cami

Cami Boxer Insane

I must have said the right think to the right person.
    I got a call from the manager of the store and they are going to absorb the additional cost and I get the bed at the original price I paid with no additional money owed.
    I was prepared to walk away and forget about a bed for a while but I am glad that it appears to have gotten worked out. Now the count down starts for delivery.

10. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

That's awesome! Glad it all worked out!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.