Opinion's on puppy food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murf

Boxer Buddy
Was just wondering what people's opinion is on Royal Canin I have heard some positive and negative.Our puppy is eating it fine but was wondering if he is getting all the nutriants he should?

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
If you look at dogfoodanalysis you can read about it there and it's rating. It's a pretty low quality food and for what it's priced at versus what it is I would definitely encourage you to switch. He's getting the nutrients he should, however he's getting low quality ingredients, and possibly harmful ingredients in addition to those nutrients. I'd urge you to choose a higher quality food, such as Wellness or something along those lines.

Murf

Boxer Buddy
Thanks so much for the input..I am assuming you can get Wellness anywhere?We usually go to Petsmart.

Skywalker

Boxer Booster
Hi.

Don't think they sell it in Petsmart do they, I could be wrong. If you look on the Wellness website http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/# they have a where to buy section and you can put in your city etc. We feed our pup Orijen and he is doing well on it. I think the Dog Food Analysis website is a good read and also theres lots of advice on here. Our vet recently told us to look at the Science diet (do all vets say this?!) luckily we have read alot so that we can make our own decision!

Last edited:

BxrMommieNAZ

Boxer Insane
No they do not sell it at PetSmart, only decent food sold at PetSmart is Blue Buffalo unfortunately. If you need a chain store PetCo sells Wellness, otherwise as the above poster said you can go to their website and see where they sell it in your local area. It typically tends to be at more feed stores and/or "mom and pop" stores versus larger chains (with the exception of PetCo).

Murf

Boxer Buddy
Hi.

Don't think they sell it in Petsmart do they, I could be wrong. If you look on the Wellness website http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/# they have a where to buy section and you can put in your city etc. We feed our pup Orijen and he is doing well on it. I think the Dog Food Analysis website is a good read and also theres lots of advice on here. Our vet recently told us to look at the Science diet (do all vets say this?!) luckily we have read alot so that we can make our own decision!

Thanks so much for the info this site is just awesome.I read on that site dog food analysis that Orijen is a excellent dog food but this was one of the caution's they wrote for the Orijen Puppy Large Breed..they said its high in protein that makes it suitable for adult dogs only..I don't get that?.Then why is it called Orijen Puppy food?Our pup is 11 weeks what would you suggest?

Skywalker

Boxer Booster
Well like you we are still figuring out exactly what is best for our pup! We have been feeding Orijen for a couple of weeks now. The reason they have a warning on it is because of the high protein content. Because large breed puppies grow quickly a high protein diet has cause for concern as far as growing bones are concerned. This is a clarification of the warnings by dog food analysis that I found ........"The caution on high protein dry foods and puppies that are still growing skeletally arises from the findings of some research that high amounts of protein can contribute to, or exacerbate a range of skeletal growth disorders ranging from panosteitis, and HOD through to exacerbation of hip and elbow dysplasia. We would note that different studies conflict on this (there is general agreement that excess calories and excess calcium are contributors, but the role of protein is not agreed by all research)".........
By the way Boxers are not large breed. But I do not know to what extent it has a detremental effect if at all on our boxer babies...hopefully some very knowledgeable boxer lover will clear this one up for us?!!

Last edited:

Murf

Boxer Buddy
Thanks for the compliment on Rocky.Your pup Luke which I know is older looks alot like Rocky.What type of Orijen do you feed Luke?Also if boxers are not considered large breed what would they be?..medium?LOL..

Skywalker

Boxer Booster
Lol yes they are considered medium sized!! We just feed him Orijen Puppy not the Orijen Puppy Large Breed. Yes they have similar colourings hey but I think Rocky has more white on him than Luke! What are you feeding him at the moment? If you are not sure about the Orijen you could try the Wellness as suggested or one of the other 4*-6* rated foods. We are kind of experimenting to find what Luke likes as well as whats good for him! He is not a big eater and seems to stop when hes had enough whether or not he's eaten all that we have given him (a trait I would like to possess lol!). He went through a phase of hardly eating at all so we were worried but figured out that it was wetting the kibble that put him off, he doesn't like it with water!!! But even though he's not a big eater and he is ribby he has managed to get to 49lbs in his 6 months of life so he is doing well!!

Status
Not open for further replies.