opinions on mattress style dog beds

Status
Not open for further replies.

VTbxrFan

Boxer Insane
I've started seeing a lot more dog beds designed more like human mattresses with coil springs or 7 inch thick, supportive foam. Has anyone tried these? Do your dogs like them?

I've always gotten the pillow-style beds with soft polyfill that shifts around. Given that my dogs like my bed so much, I wonder if they'd be happier with beds that are designed more like human beds. (They typically don't sleep with me during the night, but they are allowed on the bed during naps or when I'm not sleeping - they use their own beds at night when hubby and I both need our bed.) I wonder about it for Dallas in particular - he's had a touch of arthritis since he was 2 (he's 4 now), and I know it will probably start to get worse as he gets older, so I've been thinking that it might be better for him to have a bed with better support...and of course if I get one for Dallas, I'll have to get one for Gracie. But then I wonder if these mattress-like beds are just a marketing gimmick trying to suck in those of us who think our pets need the best of everything. I don't mind spending the money if the dogs will like them and they will last, but I don't want to fork over $100+ (times two) for beds that I'll have to replace.

ilovevegas

Boxer Booster
hi! i haven't seen those around but i'd like to check them out...is there a website or a brandname in particular? they sound pretty cool but then again i'm such a sucker for good marketing ;)
crystal

Krikkit

Boxer Insane
We started using the mattresses when Bo, Reb and Tess were in their teens (and were slower and a little arthritic). The type we use are the supportive foam. Did not get the springs just in case someone decided to trash the beds :rolleyes: My crew always choose the mattress over the softer type beds (have a couple of each).

Layla is a bed scruncher so I put a couple of extra blankets on top of the bed so she can dig them up :)

Sharon

VTbxrFan

Boxer Insane
there are different brands available, but here are examples of what I'm talking about:

foam bed

spring bed

Thanks for the information Sharon. Dallas likes to nest a little, so I was thinking I could put a blanket or two on top so he can get his bed arranged just so. It won't matter to Gracie - she just flops down and goes to sleep when she's ready!

megan313

Boxer Booster
I'm pretty sure the dog on the link for the spring matress is a boxer!!! looks just like my baxter, so that ones better!

bored_robots

Boxer Booster
Matress

maddy sleeps on our bed now and she sleeps the whole way through if we put her in her crate she gets up and wants to go out, I think it's all a ploy to see her mummy n daddy and try to get back ont he bed. Anyway she loves our bed and as I sleep sleeps soundly through but already she is starting to take up loads of room, her dad usually gets annoyed and pushes her way and I share as much as possible I end up with hardly any duvet cause shes lying on it but her snuggles are worth it. When she gets a bit bigger I'd love to get her one of those spring matresses and make it up like a bed for her because it means she'd be comfy all night long but not take up our room!! I suppose it could go where her crate now is but we aren't gonna be in this hosue forever. Hmm I suppose though when shes on our bed I can feel her move and know when shes awake if she was separate she wouldn't wake me up as easy. But anyway I'd definitely get one of those mattresses they look really nice for our beloved doggies and very cute when snuggled up in a duvet.

ljnash

Boxer Insane
I think either one would be soft for sore joints, but firm to give support where needed, too. They look just like mattresses for humans.

I know my two love to sleep on my bed!!:)

Lenore

firedog

Boxer Booster
We have a sealy pet bed for Brindy. It is the orthopedic bed, doesn't have coils. It stays in her crate for her to sleep on. We wanted her to be comfortable when she was in there for 8 hrs a day. Now I have left my job and she will still go in there during the day to sleep, its her little bed. For what it is worth, I know that she will be comfortable even when she possible starts having joint problems. Only the best for my baby. I got it from a wholesale pet supply- paid around 120.00 that included the protective cover and then the outside washable cover.

Rachel

boxersrbest

Boxer Booster
Quincy always preferred my bed but, as the husband found it too crowded, I waited until Sears had a sale and bought a crib mattress. It has an edge guard, coils, waterproof top, etc and cost $49 (reg. price $119). We put it on a toddler bed frame (also on sale for $69, can't remember the reg. price) at the end of our bed so he is at the same height and can visit. He loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.