1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ongoing skin problem

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by sherryberry, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherryberry

sherryberry Boxer Buddy

Hi all,

Our 3 year old boy has had ongoing issues with sores along his bottom lip and the corner of one eye. It ends up looking pink and raw :( They originally said it was a bacterial skin infection from plastic water bowls and he had antibiotics and it didn't really help. We changed to metal bowls we clean and we have tried different foods that are suppose to be allergy friendly.

On 08/09 they did a culture of the areas and I don't remember the results specifically, but it was some kind of yeast infection... he got Malotic ointment and Zeniquin antibiotic

After those meds ran out the sores came back and
    On 09/09 they put him on Gentocin Ophthalmic ointment for eye and Ciprofloxacin

Same thing it came back
    On 11/09 he got Tetracycline and was told to give him Niacin vitamin supplement also. Those meds were over a months worth but the sores came back fast this time.

Now they want to do a $300 biopsy on his lip to *maybe* find out what is wrong. I'm not sure what to do at this point... to go ahead and do it or get the opinion of another vet??

Unfortunately he was seen for this before we got doggie insurance and my hubby put it down on the forms so it's not covered now. (it wasn't as serious then)

Any suggestions?

2. harleyboxer

harleyboxer Super Boxer

My boxer used to get a lot of acne because of his food allergies, so I would try a food trial for sure. Unfortunately, you should bite the bullet and do the biopsy, and a culture. The pathologist can see what is really going on and the culture will show what antibiotics to use so that you don't waste your money on the wrong ones. My dobe had a few lumps on her vulva and the pathologist suggested she be put on steroids because it wasn't an infection or mass, she cleared up right away. The same dog has had multiple cultures on her skin infections and every time it has come up different, she currently has mrsa :(

Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.