One year old vs. puppy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammieboy

Boxer Pal
Hello everyone. I am looking for opinions regarding the addition of a new dog to our household. We currently have an almost 10 year old Boxer/Beagle mix and a 5 year old Golden or Lab??mix. Our boxer mix, Hamlet, is a male and has been with us since he was 8 weeks old. He is the reason that all of our future dogs will be Boxers! We ADORE him and his boxer personality. :) Our other dog, Izzie, is a female and has been with us since she was about 1. The only issue we have ever had with the two of them was the day Izzie came home and tried to eat from Hamlet's bowl. He set her straight and they have been fine ever since.

We are looking to add a Boxer puppy as I know that my Hamlet won't live forever…and we would like our new dog to learn some of Hamlet's behaviors etc. We have watched him change Izzie for the better. :)

In my research, I have come across a breeder who has a 1 year old male that he is willing to let go to a pet family. I know I cannot say names of Breeders on this site but he is in North Carolina and Mexico and seems to be quite reputable and has beautiful dogs.

My question is this…my husband is on board with a trained dog vs. a puppy but I am concerned that Hamlet would have to "defend" his "alpha" role if we added another male who was not a small puppy. He is getting old and I don't want him to be stressed by this…does that make sense?

Any advice? (This dog is not going to be shown or bred because his testicles did not descend..I don't know that that has any relevance but figured I would share)

Sorry this is sooooo long and thanks for any words of wisdom!!

kelley in NC

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
I would be inclined to go for the 1 year old. There are all sorts of advantages to adopting an older dog. Talk to the breeder about your concerns. They may let you take him on a trial basis to see if it works out.

Good luck!

TysonCheeto

Completely Boxer Crazy
I never claim to have much knowledge when comes to all things boxer, as I feel I'm still so new to them myself. I feel like my mind usually goes in those same areas as you are meaning. I think deep into things lol. Just maybe a different take on the situation, we have been through the puppy thing twice this past year, and one thing I have noticed, is older dogs seem to not handle rambunctious puppies so well. It's like the little hyper kid that won't go away lol. I don't mean to make it sound like fact, it just has seemed to be a common thing I experience when introducing the puppies to older dogs. Not to say yours wouldn't handle it well, it all depends on each dog, but younger adult dogs seem to be fine, but older senior dogs don't much care for the puppies. But again not to say yours would feel the way!! I guess It could it be stressful for him with the puppy thing as well is my thought. But I think in your heart your know your baby better then anybody and what he would do better with :) seems like you really love him and want the best for him, I'm sure whatever you decide it will all smooth out and work :) good luck with your decision! Either way you go with it, I'm excited to hopefully see pics of your new addition!

Jan

Reasonable Moderator
Staff member
Just another thought.

If you do decide to get the 1 year old with the undescended testitcles make that you get him neutered right away. The testicles can turn cancerous. :(

Also, just because he is 1 year old doesn't mean that he has had much training. He may not have even been house trained if he spends most of the day in a kennel. He may not even be kept in the house. :(

Good luck with your decision!

Status
Not open for further replies.