1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On breeders wait list, but decided to rescue...

Discussion in 'Adoptions' started by boxermom5, Apr 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxermom5

boxermom5 Super Boxer

DH & I are ready to add to our family (it has been 4.5 years since we lost our beloved Tess) and recently made it on the list for a litter due in early May. Meanwhile, thoughts got the better of me, with Tenaia being mama's girl (big time) and 12.5 years old, did I really want to bring a puppy home or would an older but still young boxer be a better choice....there are so many sweet boxers being dumped at shelters because owners can't (or won't) afford to keep them, and fortunately for those dogs, there are some fantastic rescue orgainizations working together in the Pacific Northwest to liberate them from hell and help them find loving forever homes. I have to limit my reading because I end up in tears and heartbreak over the stories, and DH says 'unless you go back to work so we can buy at least 5 acres, our household limit is 4' and of course, I would bring them ALL home if I could. On the other hand, he did make the mistake of saying 4....so I have the bargaining advantage of a possible 2 additions!

We had to reschedule due to Tenaia's surgery, and due to the boys we have interest in recovering from kennel cough (and pending kid compatability screening as well), but we have an appointment for meet & greets with the rescue group & 4 potential younger boys (1-3 yrs approx) on the 21st! I am getting excited!!

2. entelekia

entelekia Super Boxer

How exciting! Are you going with norcal boxer rescue? I've never dealt with them but I hear they are wonderful.

Good luck! :)

3. johann

johann Boxer Insane

Good luck! I hope everyone recovers quickly and you can get your new boxer home soon. :)

4. boxermom5

boxermom5 Super Boxer

We are going through a new group (not on the BW approved list yet, so I won't mention names) that is partnering up with another non-profit boxer rescue in Washington, and also working with NorCal to get as many babes as possible out of the high kill shelters in LA. Together, the 3 groups have liberated dozens of dogs in the last few weeks alone. I heard just the other day, the WA group has forever-homed 80 boxers since December, and I know at least 5 others have gone to permanent homes in the last week or so appicon. They are actually taking a 2nd transport today of 12 beautiful dogs from Cali to WA. Sadly for me, one of the handsome boys on my meet & greet list is going north - apparantly we am not his perfect match, but he definitely deserves the perfect spot for him, and he already has people lined up that are interested (I have been following their FB pgae). Happily for those stranded at those nasty shelters, there will be room now for more liberations!!!

I am excited, and actually glad to have opted for a different route.

5. EAO76

EAO76 Boxer Insane

I know which group you are talking about and I'm glad that you are working with them. They are a welcome addition to the local rescue world. The SoCal area needs as much help as we can get (I am a volunteer for BRLA)! I hope you find your perfect match soon!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.