1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OMG Stop this nipping!

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by LoveMyReece, May 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LoveMyReece

LoveMyReece Boxer Pal

Hello,

My puppy is 14 weeks. He has started nipping nonstop. If anyone reaches down to touch him he tries to nip, if I try to pet him, even when im sitting down he tries to nip at my feet. I understand he is teething but how do I correct this behavior. I don't want him to get big teeth and nip and it hurts. Plus these little teeth he has now are even sharp and catch me at times when we are play wrestling so they hurt too. He has plenty of chew toys, ropes, stuffed animals and balls but he prefers to chew on everything else and nip at everybody.

2. sjtorr

sjtorr Boxer Booster

There are so many possible answers to this :) what worked for me is a combination of things.
    - sometimes nipping meant I need to go outside and don't know how to tell you
    - in play, automatically redirect to a chew toy. Different textures at different times. Initially ours wanted soft squeaky, then it was a harder ball, then it was a hard plastic bone, then back to just the bully. Try getting some bully sticks from the pet store. I suggest water buffalo as they don't stink as much as bull.
    - this one we still use at 15 months : cross arms, don't play for five seconds. It will take a while, but he will get it, initially you hay only want to use this if he bites, but let slide mouthing. As he gets older, modify your sensitivity, until you are crossing your arms for all levels of nipping including mouthing.
    - some say to pretend to cry or shout ow... This never worked for me until she got to be about a year old.

Consistency and patience. You will get through this :)

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

You pup needs to learn to control is bite and that when he bites too hard, you won't play anymore. When he bites too hard, just yelp, and get up an leave the room for a few minutes. Pups hate to be left along and he will soon realize that biting makes you leave.

Two great books you can download for free from the internet. Before You Get Your Puppy and After You Get Your Puppy, both by Ian Dunbar. Another book that will help you understand how you puppy thinks is Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson.

Good luck!

4. LoveMyReece

LoveMyReece Boxer Pal

Thank you

Thank you again! I hope these tactics work because these little teeth are treacherous I have little cuts everywhere!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.