Older pup to start showing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8IE

Boxer Insane
I recieved an e-mail from a breeder I had contacted recently who has a 16- month old female available. She was returned to the breeder because of health issues with the owner's new premature baby and they did not have the time to commit to her and her showing career. So far she has done well in the ring, but has not been shown since spring. She is gorgeous and from all I have read very intelligent and well trained. My question is this: I have never shown but am really wanting to start. Would it be advisable (or maybe even beneficial to me, being a beginner) to get a dog that is a bit older and has already been started in showing and knows a bit about it? Or would it be better for me to get a pup and learn as the pup learns? I have not even begun to work out any details with the breeder as I am still considering it, but I wanted to ask the opinion of my friends at BW before I went any further and got my hopes up. Thanks in advance for your replies.

abby's mum

Super Boxer
Sounds like a great opportunity to me to learn. It is easier in my opinion to learn to show with an experianced dog than puppy. The only downfall would be missing out on the puppy stage but that is it. Good luck!

K8IE

Boxer Insane
abby's mum-I honestly don't think I would be too bummed about missing out on the puppy phase, (especially with my brand new house and carpets, lol). I am just concerned about her adjusting and the fact that I don't know anything about showing and would want to learn but not mess her up in the process. Her breeder says she is very smart and focused, so hopefully she would teach me a bit?

1FlashyFan

Boxer Insane
I actually think an older pup with experience in the ring would be easier to work with. It takes so much time to get a puppy to the point that they do well in the ring and I bet you can pick up what you need to know quickly. Having a dog who is confident, enjoys the ring and knows how to resond to your requests without much asking just makes your job that much easier. The bonus for your family life is that you will bypass all the not-so-fun parts of puppyhood (like messy carpets :p). Best of luck with your decision!!!!

Many lines take longer to mature and it is common that they are not seriously shown until they are 2 +. I was looking at a breeder site recently and found a dog they started showing when he was 4 and he finished his championship.

Duncan's DAD

Boxer Pal
older dogs

I have been showing since 1995 when I was 12 and a junior handler. It has been my experience that an older dog that is already somewhat shown would be much easier for a beginner. My first show dog was 3 and had been being shown for about a year and a half by my older sister. I found that I THOUGHT I would know what to expect when I got my first puppy to start out on my own. man was I wrong!! ;) It was fun teaching the pup but the older dogs have been so much easier for me Good luck

JVZ Boxers

Boxer Buddy
I just got Gable and he is 11 months old. He has already been shown and knows how to stack and move without much trouble, although he is still a puppy. I would say go for it. It will make things alot easier on you, trust me. I have trained puppies for show and it's great when you get one that already knows what their doing. Being a beginner I think it would be a great oppertunity for you.

K8IE

Boxer Insane
Thanks for the advice everyone! I ended up not getting the female I was looking at when I posted this, but I am still thinking about getting started with an older pup. A great breeder here has given my info to another local boxer breeder who shows a lot and I am hoping to get in touch with her and see about attenting some shows soon. Hopefully I may be able to work with some of her dogs and will have a good mentor to help me get started and help me choose my next boxer.

Status
Not open for further replies.