1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okay to feed canned food exclusively?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by snowicki, Apr 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowicki

snowicki Boxer Booster

Buster, who is soon to be 9 years old has been having some real issues with his mouth. When he was being crate trained as a pup he broke off all of his k9 teeth chewing on the bars( didn't realize it until it was too late). We went to the vet on Friday because he hasn't been eating normally, we figured out that it was because his mouth hurt and had started wetting his food. So after bloodwork and and exam they have come to the conclusion that his top k9 roots are infected and will remove them in a couple of weeks after antibiotics.

I asked my vet if it would be ok to feed canned food exclusively and they said yes. Just wondering what your thoughts are on this? We are currently feed Canidae All Stages and would feed Canidae canned in place of kibble. What, if any, disadvantages would there be?

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Yes, feeding your dog exclusively canned food should be fine. You'd need to brush his teeth regularly, but you need to do that with kibble anyway.

Canned foods can be rather a lot better than dry foods - due to lower amounts of grains and other plant matter. Well, there are canned foods around that contain no grains or plant matter at all (and those are the better ones).

I think the only downside to feeding exclusively canned food is the cost. You'll probably find it's rather a lot more expensive than feeding dry food.

3. dharmadoodle

dharmadoodle Boxer Pal

It is said that they just swallow most of the kibble without chewing anyway. Some kibble can be soaked too. :)

4. snowicki

snowicki Boxer Booster

Thank you for the replies. I feel a bit better now. Any idea on what would be appropriate serving size for each meal? I feed 2 times a day. We have been feeding 1 1/2 cups of kibble each meal. Would it be the same for canned? Thanks again for the input.

5. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I think you'd need to feed a good deal more canned food than that (this is what I meant when I said it's an expensive way to go ;)). Canned food is 80% moisture, versus about 10% in dry food - so you've got to feed a great deal more of it to come up with a similar amount of actual food.

On an all-canned diet, you're looking at around 1 13oz can for every 20-25lb of body weight (more with lower quality foods).

You could take a look at http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/ for some suggestions on good quality canned foods. The canned section is still very much a work in progress, but there are some good suggestions there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.