1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ok, now that I found good food, how quickly should I switch him?

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by meadowlark, Dec 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meadowlark

meadowlark Boxer Buddy

I know for a fact that the food that the breeder is feeding her dogs and the puppies is pretty low quality. So should I begin to switch him over to the better quality food right away. Maybe mix it with the low quality food in portions until he's finally fully switched over? Or should I give him a week or two to aclimate to his new surroundings before making a switch in food?

Any suggestions are most welcome.

TIA!!

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I'd give him a week to acclimatise first, even if the food he's getting is some nasty junk. Rehoming is already a pretty stressful experience for baby pups, and changing their food right away can often be one stress too many - and you end with upset tummies and diarrhoea. One week more on a low quality food won't kill ;)

The best way to go about switching foods is gradually. Some dogs do just fine wit cold turkey food switches, some are very sensitive to it. But diarrhoea is such an annoyance for all involved that it makes sense to switch gradually to avoid the problem. You'll no doubt find out over time how well your dog will do with faster switches, but immediately after she comes home isn't the best time to experiment ;) A gradual switch would usually take about a week to ten days, assuming there are no problems (longer if there are).

You start out with a mixture that is 25% new food and 75% old. Feed that for a few days, and if there are no loose stool or tummy troubles, you increase it to a 50/50 mix. Again a few days, then you go to 75/25 and finally to 100% new food. If at any stage the stool gets loose or the tummy upset, just hold off on increasing the ratio of new food until things settle back down.

3. meadowlark

meadowlark Boxer Buddy

Thanks!! That's what I will plan to do then.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.