1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh, was that fence for me??

Discussion in 'Dog Training' started by ecre, Jul 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ecre

ecre Boxer Pal

We did some renovations on our home that caused us to take down our fence temporarily. We previously had a fence that encircled our pool and closed us off from most of our yard. When the fence was down, we decided to open up the yard and design the fence along the property line. This would give 3 fenced sides and one natural barrier, a lake. Previous to yesterday, Philo would not dare venture into the lake. So, yesterday, my husband put up a leg of fence that blocked Philo from the road, so I decided to play with him off leash. After some excited chasing a ball, etc., he looks at the lake and jumps right in...next think you know, he is frolicking all over the place, jumping around, throwing his whole body down into the water, putting his face under water, etc. I thought Boxers didn't like water?! Um, well, apparently Philo did not get the memo! So, I bought him a kiddie pool, thinking maybe that would help. This morning, let him off the leash to play - he ran to the kiddie pool - took a big drink of fresh water and then looked at me as if to say, "Wow, thanks for this great big water bowl!" and then jumped right into the lake!

So, now what?? If we continue on with the fence as planned, it will be easy for him to jump into the lake and go around the fencing. I want to be able to enjoy our big backyard with him being able to run free and play when we are outside. So, how do I get him to not go into the lake???

Charlene and Philo (7 months)

2. TwoDogs

TwoDogs Boxer Insane

What about something like this that you can put up along the beach when he's out alone, but is easy to remove if you want to allow him in the lake or enjoy the beach yourself?
    4'H Deluxe Mesh Temporary Fencing w/ Yellow Top, 50'

Or perhaps a floating "fence" made from 50 gallon drums strung together?

3. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Does Philo actually swim? Maybe you could extend the fence into the lake so, that Philo would have to swim to get around it.

4. TyTysmom

TyTysmom Super Boxer

How about an underground fence along the beach?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.