Odd`

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lola's mum

Boxer Insane
We had an almighty thunder storm here last night and Lola didn't bat an eyelid. She hates fireworks and loud noises but never gets freaked by thunder or lightening, I just think it's very odd. She even sat in the garden for a while.

RoxiesEcho

Boxer Insane
Bella's the same way - she rarely reacts to storms. Her reaction to fireworks is a little different. Our neighbors shoot off quite a show on July 4th and if she is outside she instantly runs to the back door. Once you let her in she sits in the front window and watches. It's as if she thinks she is safe from them as long as she's in the house!

jamkaywill

Super Boxer
Abbie is the same. One of my city's tornado (sp) alarms is right by my house everytime it goes off Abbie runs outside and barks at it lol. My neighbors Great Dane however is terrified of storms. We had one last weekend and I went over to check on Lexie because her owners works really long shifts and this huge Great Dane was trying and I do mean trying to hide behind the recliner.

Last edited:

electric1

Super Boxer
My ABBY is the total opposite. I also live just a couple of blocks down from a city p.a. siren. If it goes off when she is outside, whether it's for just testing the system or bad weather, Oh Lord! It's Katy bar the door. Because she is going to get back into the house as fast as she can, one way or another, it doesn't matter. Whenever it does thunder, she becomes a nervous wreck. She trembles and pants uncontrollably, and honestly, I've never seen a dog act the way she does. It's almost pitiful. Since she was just a pup she's been that way. Any type of loud noise tends to send her over the edge. But, for some reason, it's the thunder that seems to absolutely terrify her.

Mega's Mom

Boxer Insane
In the same vein ... Cornelius is a big scaredy cat. Loud noises, sudden movements, etc. But turn the vacuum on and he is oblivious. Silly dog!

catcrazy56

Boxer Insane
Ruby is the same way she if fine in a storm but some kids set of fire crackers the other day while we were walking and she tried to slip her collar and run now she hates being on the leash again all that work getting her to walk on a leash and twice they have set them off when we are close by and now she is scared again

DiverDiva

Boxer Insane
My Dad's first hunting dog, Pups, was a fabulous duck dog and had no problem with a shotgun going off over head in the duck boat. She also had no problem with fireworks. Whenever a thunderstorm struck, she had to be in the basement, and when she heard thunder she would look up the stairs in terror.

When we first adopted Mali, she was afraid of almost any loud noise. She was frightened when we were watching the storm scene from the movie "Castaway" on DVD, and a real storm terrified her. Oscar has never been afraid of thunder and I think she learned from him that storms need not be feared, because she is indifferent to them now. However, she is still in a panic when she hears fireworks.

All three of our Labs were terrified of the vacuum, so I worked with my Boxers to desensitize them to it. Mali is indifferent to it, but Oscar now insists on being vacuumed when I have the hand attchment on the vacuum cleaner. :LOL:

Every dog is unique.

Last edited:

djheitz

Boxer Insane
I was just reading a story last night about a police dog in Chicago that disappeared during a bad thunderstorm last week. He was found unharmed, just thin, and hopped right in the squad car as soon as he saw it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.