Obedience Class level 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Graduation

Megan passed her level 2 class tonight. I'm so excited. She is doing real well. Now on to level 3, I think.

They give the dogs a dog biscuit for graduation and Megan walked around with it in her mouth. She was so funny. She didn't want to eat it but she carried it the whole time the rest of the class was getting their paperwork.

[Edited by malinda on 02-27-2001 at 01:28 AM]

Go Megan!!! Are you going on to level 3 now or agility? We are still waiting for level 3 to start for Amaya and Bru. They are starting to get cabin fever :)

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
I think level 3 but I'm not certain. She could still use the obedience training but she is young and we are working on it. Her stay isn't that long but I'm sure that comes in time and practice. Part of me wants to do agility with her, she would be great at it. However she isn't a year old yet and although they do have puppy agility part of me says to the obedience first.

There was a dog in her last class that was doing agility and obedience at the same time. As we walked out last night I was talking to her owner she said that she decided her dog was not for the obedience thing. She could do sit, down, come and stay and the owner was happy with that. The dog really excelled in agility though. She would sit and stay for agility class but not in obedience class. The instructor told her the payoff in agility was better. She wanted to go through the tunnels and knew if she didn't stay she couldn't.

Level 3 starts March 26 I think they said last night. So I'm hoping to do level 3 and than maybe later this summer or so do agility with her.

My other thought is to skip level 3 this class and take it next time. They run every six weeks. Just that I'm finishing off my Bachelor Degree doubling up courses next term and don't want to pay $110 for classes and not have time to practice with her at home. So the thought did cross my mind to do private lessons with her for a little while.

Too many options, I'm really unsure at this moment. Going to wait and see how things play out and talk to my husband about it.

Someday I will be rich and not have to use my tax return to pay for 2 $129 junior classes :) It adds up quickly and is an expensive little hobby but Bru and Amaya love going to school and I love taking them!

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Brutus and Amaya's Mom

I know that feeling. I just said to my husband that is $110 we have to come up with in the next few weeks if we go right into level 3 and he said we should be getting our tax return soon.

Oh well expensive but it is worth it, in my opinion.

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
The obedience classes we take aren't called level 1, 2, etc. It's basic, intermediate, etc. Just curious, is levle 2 the off leash training? That's the intermediate course for us. Two of mine have completed it and I jsut signed my 3rd up for it yesterday. Ours also doesn't cost as much as your's. Basic is $85, intermediate is $65, advanced is $100 (I think), and agility is $50. If I had to choose between agility and obedience classes I would pick obedience but would rather do both. Lots of people at the training facility we use do agility and obedience at the same time. I tried it last summer, although I was doing it at the same time as obedience my dogs weren't. Pru was in agility and Sheeba was in obedience. As for age and agility I was told Boxers should be at least 18 months before starting this (uless you choose the puppy agility). Pru was only 15 months so we took it easy on her but it was still lots of fun.

As for going right into level 3 or not...I space mine out mainly because after one of mine complete a course their training is put on hold for a while so I can get the others caught up. Right now I'm running my 3 back thru what they have already learned. Where we train your can bring your dog to any class at any time for free if you have already paid for it once. I've been taking Pru and Sheeba to the basic obedience class on Saturdays together. Sheeba was in heat last week so I tool Tyson and Pru. They love it and it gives me a chance to practice with them around a bunch of other dogs. The best thing is mine are the best in the class because they have already learned it and this is the first time for all the others. :D Actually it's good for mine when another dog breaks a sit or a down and starts running around, it causes mine to have to think in order to obey the command and not break it.

Congrats to Megan and of course her mom for completeing level 2. I'm sure what ever you decide to do next Megan will do great and will love doing it.:)

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Alisha

Here are the descriptions of the classes Megan is in. I took them off the web site for the training center.

Behavior & Manners (Obedience) Classes

Our behavior classes and programs are designed to provide the training dogs need to become well-mannered canine citizens.

Classes run in 6-week sessions in two locations, and progress through several levels. The Schedule page details the upcoming class schedule, but please contact the Gym for information on pricing, prerequisites, required health documents, and any scheduling changes.

Puppy Class: For puppies 8 weeks to 16 weeks of age at the start of the class. This is the ideal time to start a puppy with our positive, cooperative and gentle approach to learning. The program is similar to Level 1 (see below), and is loaded with helpful information geared to the puppy owner.

Level 1—Basic Good Manners: The first level of training for dogs and puppies with no prior training. The dogs and their owners learn the fundamentals of clicker training techniques. The dog learns the basic behaviors of sit, lie down, settle, stay, come when called, walk without pulling on a leash, and "leave it". Owners also learn how to painlessly eliminate undesirable behavior such as stealing food, jumping on people and more. All exercises are done off-leash as well as on. Most importantly, the dog learns to learn and the trainer learns how to communicate with the dog. The result is a cooperative educational partnership that lasts throughout the dog's life.

Level 2—More Manners: This level of training builds on the foundations learned in Level 1, increasing the dog's responsiveness in different environments, even in the face of distractions. Dogs learn to heel both off and on leash, as well as stand (great for grooming or visiting the vet), hand signals, back up, targeting and lots of other new behaviors. Level 2 also includes reducing the use of the clicker. By the completion of Level 2, most dog owners have the degree of control and responsiveness they desire from their dog. Most importantly, they have developed the skills to teach the dog anything they wish to—knowledge that will last throughout the dog's life.

Level 3—Well-Behaved Dog: This level of training is for dog owners who want still more, either because they love learning with their dog, they are considering obedience competition, or they just plain enjoy a special time with the dog. The emphasis is on perfecting behaviors and creating quick, precise responses while maintaining enjoyment and a positive attitude. Specific exercises include building attention, retrieving, off-leash heeling, go to heel (finish), automatic sit and a wide range of other behaviors. Most importantly, this level of training includes building a fluent response—one that means your dog will respond anywhere, at any time, under any circumstances.

The classes are made to run back to back. Level 1 is 6 weeks and level 2 starts off at week 7 it basically picks up where level 1 left off. I do have to pay for refresher courses, there is a discount but not sure how much of a discount. I like to take some time off between not only for the money but to help enforce what we learned in class. Even though the classes are meant to go back to back, I like more time to practice and enforce what she has just learned.

Alisha Mobley

Boxer Insane
Malinda,

It sounds like yours is pretty much the same as ours except ours isn't spread out so much. In basic obedience they learn all the same stuff but it is strictly on leash. In intermediate it's all the same stuff but strictly off leash. Advanced is more of the same stuff off leash plus they learn to do kind of like a search thing. I'm not exactly sure what it's called but they learn how to find something you have lost by smelling for your scent. I know they also push the down stay much further in advanced also by taking all the dogs to a high distraction area and placing them in a down. Then all the owners leave, they go into a store or around the block, just somewhere so the dog can't see, hear, or smell them. Your dog should, by this point, not break the down. I've cheated a little and have already got mine doing this, we want to be ready for advanced as soon as they are old enough (the trainer likes for them to be at least 2). :)

malinda

Completely Boxer Crazy
Alisha-

Level 2 did targeting, that is so the dog will retrieve something. Not quite the same as picking up your scent but probably as close as this course comes.

They did do timed downs in level 2 I believe they got up to 2 minutes. The instructor would go around bouncy balls, knocking on doors, asking them if they wanted to go outside to make distractions. The last night of class she had us do a sit/stay and went up to pet them. If they broke the stay she stopped and we tried again. Megan did it a lot of times but so did all the other dogs, so I didn't feel bad. She still needs a lot of practice for it to be perfect and I'm no where near the store scenerio you gave me although she will stay if I go into the other room. The important part for me is I see progress with her so I know she is getting it. Even if it is a little at a time, she is still young and practice is of importance.

Status
Not open for further replies.