1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not eating...what should i do????

Discussion in 'Feeding' started by BULLDOG8871, Jul 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BULLDOG8871

BULLDOG8871 Boxer Booster

I feed Rocco Canidae which he LOVES. On a normal day, the bowl is emptied within 5 minutes. Lately though, Rocco has become more stubourn and does not want to eat. Two days ago, his dinner was put out and unlike his normal routine of running over and eating, he mulled around for 1/2 hour before finally eating. Yesterday, I put his dinner out and he sniffed it but NEVER ate. I have been taking him out for walks when I am done work, and he is usually tired afterwards, but usually he eats within 1 hour of coming home.

In the morning I feed him 1 1/2 cups mixed w/ a half can of Merrick. He has been eating that up. The weather here has been up and down between 80-95 degrees, does this play a huge role in his eating habits or is this something I should be concerned about? (he is still going to the bathroom).

I was also wondering if I should try changing foods. He has been on Canidae for probably 5-6 months (it was the only food that wouldnt upset his stomach) and was unsure if he is just trying to tell me he is tired of it.

Any information is appreaciated.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't worry particularly about that. Yes, heat plays a huge role in dog's appetites. It does for people too - but while you and I might trade in steak and vegetables for a nice light salad instead, your dog doesn't have that option. What he can do though, is just eat less. It's normal enough. If it particularly concerns you (though don't be too concerned - when it's warm he needs less energy) you could try feeding him later in the evening when things cool down a bit.

It would also be wise not to leave his food out for long periods hoping he'll get hungry. If he doesn't want to eat within about 20 minutes, just pick it up and put it away until the next meal time. If he's hungry, he's going to eat. And if he's not, he won't - so all you'll achieve by leaving it out is teaching him to be picky.

And one last thought that may or may not be relevant, depending on his age... As dogs mature, they just need less to eat. The amount required by a 12 month old pup, for example, is likely to be more than the same dog requires at age 2 when he's finished most of his growth. So the possibility does exist that between maturity and heat, he simply does not need as much food as he's being offered.

3. BULLDOG8871

BULLDOG8871 Boxer Booster

Thank you VERY much...I do feel better about this situation. My only other concern is that Rocco has not (for lack of better words) pooped since last night. It is going on 17 hours. He is urinating regularly. I guess Ill wait a little longer to see how his eating goes.

Thanks again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.