Northeastern Florida

Status
Not open for further replies.

fawnmolson

Boxer Booster
My husband and I will be moving to Jacksonville in August. I was wondering if anyone who lives (or has been to the area) can tell us about some fun places to take the puppies to? any outdoor restaurants that allow dogs? We don't really do the dog park scene so I'm thinking more about public places like beaches/state parks/ outdoor restaurants etc. Thanks in advance. (noted to moderator: not sure if this should be moved to a different forum!)

Gatorblu

Boxer Insane
I grew up near Daytona which is further south, but I know that the state parks in FL allow dogs on leashes that are 6ft or less. They are not allowed in the swimming areas tho'. Also remember in FL you have to assume if there is water there are gators! Gators love dogs. So never let you dog near the water unattended!
Just north of Jacksonville is Fernandina Beach, I checked on dogfriendly.com and they said that they allow dogs as long as they are leashed. Good luck and enjoy the sunshine!

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
I'm in Jax and it is a dog friendly city. Hannah park and Huguenot park (both on the beach) allow dogs on leash. There is a city sponsored dog park in Jax Beach which has separate parks for small and large dogs, the local Humane Society also has a dog park. There is a city ordinance which allows restaurants with outdoor eating areas or patios to permit dogs on leash and there are several that offer dog menus. I can't think of any specific restaurants right now, but will update my post if I can find them.

The previous posters warning about gators is very wise, so please heed the warning. Water = gators and water mocassins, that includes retention ponds.

I see you are in Virginia, are you a Navy family? Welcome to Jax, hope your move goes well and you like the area.

fawnmolson

Boxer Booster
Thank you for the info. We are a navy family, my husband's new orders are actually to Mayport. We don't have water near our house and my dogs are never unattended outside of the house so while I know things can happen in an instant I am not terribly worried about gators because the only time they will be near the water is when they are right with us. That's so exciting that some places have dog menus, I was hoping there would be places like that in Florida! Thanks again!

MaggienDeuce

Boxer Booster
Well Mayport is actually very close to the two parks I mentioned in my previous post. Also, I read in the paper today that St. Augustine and St. Augustine Beach have passed ordinances this week to allow dogs on leash at restaurants with outdoor seating - so long as the restaurant gets a $25 permit. St. Augustine is about 30 minutes from Jax and I'm sure you will check it out at some point - one of my favorite places.

Best of luck with the move. Jax is a big military town and boxers seem really popular here so I'm sure you will love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.