1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Normal Egg-Shaped Head?

Discussion in 'Boxer Anatomy and Physiology' started by bradford, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bradford

bradford Boxer Buddy

So this is a picture of a puppy that a reputable breeder has picked out for me based on its temperament and my lifestyle. It's a picture of him at 4 weeks. He is the runt of the litter and his head looks very different than his littermates. To me, his head looks very egg-shaped. Is this normal?

2. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

You forgot the picture :)

"Cone heads" are quite normal for puppies, and actually often considered desirable and an indicator of good head shape to come as an adult. However, without a pic its rather hard to say about the individual.

3. bradford

bradford Boxer Buddy

Cool, thanks. You should be able to see it in now when you press the gallery link. I just uploaded it last night, so I'm not sure if others can see it yet. I was just concerned because his face and head look different than the others. I wasn't sure if that was something to be worried about given his runt status.

4. gmacleod

gmacleod Elusive Moderator Staff Member

Aaawww... he's cute :) http://www.boxerworld.com/photo/showphoto.php?photo=79959

I don't see anything terribly weird about his head shape. I know you're looking at him versus his siblings, and I'm not. But I don't think he looks strange for such a young baby, and difference may well just be that they're slightly ahead in development.

5. Jan

Jan Reasonable Moderator Staff Member

Very very cute. I don't see anything weird about his head shape either. :) I don't think it's anything to be worried about.

I just went back and looked at Moto's puppy pictures. You can see them in my gallery. At two weeks his head was egg shaped, but by 3 weeks you could see that it was becoming cone shaped. As gmacLeod said I think it's just a case of being a little behind because he is the runt. He will probably turn out normal.

Last edited: May 25, 2009
  6. bradford

bradford Boxer Buddy

Great. Thanks, Gmacleod and Jan. Your comments fall in line with what the breeder said the other day. He thinks the puppy is about a week behind the others. I haven't raised a boxer or a runt before, so I'm not quite sure what to expect in terms of looks. But other than his appearance, he seemed to match his littermates - a playful, happy boxer!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.