1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noel the Spokesdog

Discussion in 'Stories' started by boxmom, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boxmom

boxmom Boxer Insane

Today I took my recently adopted rescue girl Noel to meet her new vet. I didn't really give any thought to it but now I realize this is the first time we have gone out in public together. We've only had her about a month now, and it is dead of winter here, so not much going out. In her past life, Noel was a puppy mill mama. She was overbred and her under carriage shows dramatic signs of that. She also suffers from bad skin allergies, which went untreated for probably as long as she had them. When I think about this poor dog having to endure pregnancy after pregnancy all the while itching and having to endure the puppy messes and nursing with broken open skin it just makes me so sad. With all that behind her, thanks to the Rescue who without hesitation saved her, she is well on the way to recovery. Anyways, back to the story...so at the Vet's everyone who saw her had a reaction to her. One couple commented on her being so "nippley" (really, that's what they said). I explained her story to them, and the lady sort of teared up while the man still couldn't get over how nippley she was. Another man came in and immediately bent down (after asking)to pet her. He thought she was just beautiful. We talked for a few minutes, and then he went to the counter to check in. I could not help but overhear that he was there to have his own beloved dog sent to the bridge. In the middle of filling out the form he spun around and looked at Noel again. He asked me did I have the number handy for the rescue where I had gotten her. I gave him the number.
    My family and I spend a lot of time in the summer and fall months traveling to many states and the dogs meet many people. I think Miss Noel is going to be spreading the good word about rescues every where we go, and the bad word about puppy mills and byb, too.

2. Sansal

Sansal Boxer Insane

Awww lovicon that's awesome!

3. AmISarge

AmISarge Boxer Booster

Thanks, Diana

for a happy ending to a sad story...

Did the gentleman take his dog to the rescue (or to the rainbow bridge?)

The decisions we have to make for our furbabies are overhelming sometimes. Rusty has alot of life to live (he's 5 y/o and very healthy) so we have been blessed by adopting him (I think he feels the same way!)

4. boxmom

boxmom Boxer Insane

Sorry, I was not too clear on this part of the story...the man was having his dog, who I assume was very old, put down (he was taking care of the formalities before bringing the dog in the office), and was interested in the rescue for a future dog. He had not before heard of a rescue and loved the boxer breed.

5. AmISarge

AmISarge Boxer Booster

So sorry for the confusion I caused...

I hope the gentleman considers a rescue or shelter for his next furbaby. The animals there really appreciate their new families, and to be "rescued" from the stress that ALL the animals encounter there. Rusty was only at the shelters (one in TN, then in VA) for about a week before we adopted him and he was so stressed, sad, and scared. He's found his *furever home* and some behaviors of his, he is still unlearning. It takes time and consistency...

I rolled my eyes when you posted about the comments of Noel being 'nippily'. Our GS mix (Wiley) had 5 puppies, in 1991, 3 days after her sister (Taffy - collie mix) had 8 puppies. Taffy only nursed her puppies for a week (she freaked out, and refused to nurse them) and Wiley took over, as wet nurse to ALL the puppies. She had 8 nipples, and grew a HUGE one in the middle of her chest! When we took her to get groomed, and buzzed before the summer, the groomer nearly chopped it off! We always had to remind the groomers of The Big One, year after year. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.