New to the world of mange...(sigh)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulieM

Boxer Insane
I don't think Tyson has received any dips yet, has he? He's had ivermectin, which he has had an adverse reaction to, and now the vet wants to try something that is even more toxic. :rolleyes: But he hasn't had a dip yet, so there's no way of knowing if he'll have a reaction or not (although I'd say it's probably pretty likely).

I have no idea how much dips costs, but I'd imagine that for the price of three of them you could have a consultation with a homeopathic vet and probably get the same or better results (and at least the treatment would be safer!). They can help you to boost Tyson's immune system, since it seems as if it is generally compromised, and perhaps bring him to a more vibrant state of health.

T

Tara Osment

Around here I believe (depending on the vet) the average cost per Mitaban dip is $60-$100. I've known of alot of dogs who go through them with no negative reaction. Now the Ivermectin is another story and can lead to other health problems.

JulieM

Boxer Insane
That's a little less than the cost for a homeopathic consultation - I'd say they average $100-150. So, actually, for the price of 1 to 1 1/2 dips you could have the consult - and many include the first round to remedies in that price.

Everything I've come across indicates that that Ivomec is far safer than Mitaban - what have you seen that indicates otherwise?

If you do decide to go with the Mitaban, please be aware of the following (from http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=0&articleid=1376 )

Side Effects
May see sedative effect for 24-72 hours after the dip. The animal may develop dry skin and haircoat. With the dip, may also see decreased body temperature, high blood sugar levels, seizures, or death.

Contraindications/Warnings
People on MAOI containing medication or who are diabetic should not administer the dips. Nausea and dizziness have been noted in people who handle the medication.

Avoid handling the dog for several days after treatment. Wash skin that has contacted the animal. Sensitive people may develop a skin irritation.

Use only in a well-ventilated area. Use gloves: do not allow skin contact with the medication.

Safety in dogs under 4 months of age has not been established.

Toy breeds may be more likely to have side effects due to their small size.

Do not stress patient for 24 hours after treatment.

Place protective ointment in animal's eyes prior to dipping.

Do not use in dogs with deep skin infection until infection is controlled.

Do not use in diabetic dogs or those taking other MAOIs.

Not recommended for localized demodex or other types of mites.

Not to be taken internally.

Not for use on pregnant or nursing animals.

Not for use in cats.

daysha

Banned
I had a Miniature Pincher at one time that had demodex mange. We went through about 2 months of dipping at the vet. I understand your husband for the cost of the vet bills. But getting rid of both your boxers??? I dont understand that. Anyways after 2 months of dipping he was great and pretty much back to normal. Then later on he got some sort of flesh eating disease and they had to do surgery on his back and it was solid raw flesh! It was awful. So I know you think what is happening right now is bad (which it is) BUT it could be worse. Good luck with the treatments, I wish both you and Tyson the best of luck. Keep us posted! Zoe sends lots of boxer hugs and kisses!

T

Tara Osment

Julie, I haven't actually had any experience with Mitaban or with using Ivermec as a treatment for Demodex. I have heard of several stories though from other rescuers' experiences with the usage of Ivermec and have heard nothing negative about those who've used Mitaban. Both have possible side-effects, Mitaban having the worst listed but as I said, I've heard of nothing but good results from the use of Mitaban. The side effects I've found listed for both are:

Invermectin:
May see staggering, vomiting, diarrhea, depression, or dilated pupils in dogs.

Mitaban:
May see sedative effect for 24-72 hours after the dip. The animal may develop dry skin and haircoat. With the dip, may also see decreased body temperature, high blood sugar levels, seizures, or death.

Obviously Mitaban appears to be the worse of the two but I'm surprised I've never heard of any negative experiences with it. Recently, another rescuer almost lost a Boxer due to prolonged Ivermec injections and an increased dosage to try to get the Demodex under control. She almost went into renal failure and her urine would not concentrate due to the prolonged and increased levels of Ivermec she received. I had heard of another rescuer who did lose a dog to renal failure due to being treated with Ivermec.

Maybe Ivermec is easier to overdose, I'm not sure. I'm just comparing the two based on the experiences of people I know of.

Status
Not open for further replies.