1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to the world of mange...(sigh)

Discussion in 'Dog Health issues and questions' started by MandyMom, Apr 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MandyMom

MandyMom Completely Boxer Crazy

Tyson has mange. He has about 50 small spots all over his body that have no fur. The vet gave us some medacine that is an injection for feeder pigs.(that is what the box is labled) Well Tyson has a VERY week stomach and everytime I give it to him he vomits it up. I have tried soaking it in bread, but he refuses to eat it.smashicon And so now the vet says we have to do dips. We have to leave him there for a day and they do it for us. At least three, once every two weeks. Hubby is infuriated with all the vet bills we have been having. We have had alot with Tyson. Long story about kennel cough that would not die and lots of leg problems due to him being from a puppy mill. Anyway, he is saying now we are not going to keep either boxers. I am trying to keep quiet about it and maybe he will change his mind. But he has stuck strong to it all weekend.
    So now I'm worried.:(

2. MandyMom

3. rebels mom

rebels mom Banned

Good Luck

I hope that everything gets better for you . Try not to think the worst it may turn out ok.Good Luck again

4. VTbxrFan

VTbxrFan Boxer Insane

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I know that's frustrating. Can you do the dips yourself at home to cut down on the cost, and maybe then your husband won't be so upset? I don't know too much about mange, but I know my first boxer when I was a little kid had it and I remember my parents doing the dips themselves. Good luck!

5. cynthia76

cynthia76 Boxer Booster

Bella has mange too!!

Try doing the dips at home. My parent's dog (part chow and who knows what else) had mange all her life (her immune system was extremely fragile). It's an unfortunate affliciton. Most mange can be cleared up with the dips. Check out your local pet store for dips you can do at home. It would greatly reduce the cost!

I'm sorry to hear about your hubby. It's understandable when vet bills pile up. I wonder if you got insurance for the dogs, if that would cover the treatment of the mange? You could also look into that. I pay $12 per month for insurance on Bowzer.

Good luck! I hope all goes well with Tyson.

6. MandyMom

We have it. I think it's a crock. It will only cover 5% of the cost. Some big savings.
    They want to do the dips there. Tyson is very sensitive and they are afraid he may have an allergic reaction to it so they want to monitor him.
    Well, hubby hasnt said anything else about not keeping them. I'm afraid he will again though after the next round of vet visits. I am not mad at him for feeling that way, I understand where he is coming from. We both have good jobs, I don't know how poorer families afford all the bills!:confused:

7. bridget's mum

bridget's mum Boxer Pal

I am sorry to hear that you have such a worry with your boxer. We have just been through all that you have. Our girl had the cough and had cortisone and cough mixture, then she was speyed and then she got demodectic mange. The ivomec liquid she had caused a severe reaction, which was really frightening. She is now on the tablet form, its a monthly heartwormer, she takes it daily, it's very costly, Australian dollars, about fifty dollars per week, along with a omega 3 supplement, vitamin C, malaseb bath, twice a week, antibiotics to prevent a secondary infection from the bites, weekly skin scrape tests, and a big dietary change to help keep her immune system at top level. My husband at first did not agree with this costly expense, but as I explained if her leg was hanging off, we would pay hundreds of dollars to have it repaired, no consideration, because you can see it, but because the mange is insidious, you can't really see the problem other than the bald spots, (bad enough though) it is easier to say not to spend so much money, but your dog is too precious to just let deteriorate, and it is very serious once it takes over, it can kill. I understand your problem, but when you really consider your options, the vet's advice is what you must listen to. Good luck :)

8. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Demodectic mange does not kill.

Since demodex is a sign of a compromised immune system, the dog may be more likely to die of secondary causes (bacterial infection I would think would be the most likely), but not of the demodex itself.

Here is a very informative page on demodex:
    http://www.marvistavet.com/html/demodectic_mange.html

9. exk23

exk23 Super Boxer

I'm so sorry Tyson and your family are going through this. I don't have any info on it but I just wanted to wish Tyson a fast and full recovery. I hope everything works out in your favor. Good luck.

E

10. Tara Osment

Tara Osment Guest

Nandy's Mom wrote:
    They want to do the dips there. Tyson is very sensitive and they are afraid he may have an allergic reaction to it so they want to monitor him. <<<<

If he hasn't had a reaction to the dips he's already received, I don't think the cause for worry is that high to continue needing them done under vet monitoring. What if you did them at home when you do not have to go out and just watch for a reaction. If he begins reacting, either rush him to your vet, or if closed, take him to whatever vet offers emergency services. I know its risky but I'd think that if he were going to react to a dipping, he would have done so by now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.