1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Standard Passes!

Discussion in 'Showing - questions and answers' started by kassa, Oct 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kassa

kassa Boxer Insane

The new boxer standard and Code of Ethics has passed by vote of the American Boxer Club membership.

The website will post the new revision as soon as the formalities are seen to, but the gist of the main changes are:

1) white boxers may be sold as pets on limited registration (with a contract)

and

2) a description of the natural ear will be included!

2. SoleilBxrs

SoleilBxrs Banned

Just read the news this morning! what FANTASTIC news!! appicon Way to go ABC members! appicon

-Kat

3. dogn3boyz

dogn3boyz Boxer Pal

Waa-HOO!

As a mom of a 10 1/2 week old pup I am absolutely thrilled!!! We are canceling our cropping appointment tomorrow!

4. Alisha Mobley

Alisha Mobley Boxer Insane

appiconappiconappicon

5. katie71003

katie71003 Boxer Booster

2) a description of the natural ear will be included!

What exactly does that mean? Does that mean that a natural ear dog can now be shown? Also I know with natural ears, you have to make sure they set properly...is this easier in comparison with the whole cropping/standing issue?
    Sorry for all the questions, We just put a deposit on a 3 week old pup and not sure if we should crop her ears for show or not? I personally like the natural eared look.

Katie

6. oz4lines

oz4lines Completely Boxer Crazy

Yes, Natural ears will now be accepted.
    Proper lay and carriage of ears will be described and of importance.

The Minimum height has increased as well

7. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

It may take some time for judges to get used to those uncropped ears, though - it will be interesting to see what the judges who have excused uncropped dogs will do when the new standard becomes effective. :)

8. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Well, you only crop for show if you intend to show. A show crop tends to be a bit longer. Pet crops can be more of a medium length and still look attractive.

If you were on the fence about cropping just in general, then it is best to not crop. Cropping is a personal decison that should be made with a full understanding and support on how to get the ears to stand, post cropping :)

9. PawPrintBoxers

PawPrintBoxers Banned

Probably put them at the end of the class. That is what other judges that are against uncropped ears have done.

Remember folks, those that want to show uncropped, you need to keep the same mind set as someone showing a plainly marked Boxer. It has to be a solid and eye catching example of the breed to get an even look from the judges.

I have a plainly marked American Champion and believe me, it was not easy. Some judges would put him at the end of the line and others even gave him the Breed. Either way, I would not have had him in the ring unless I believe he was a wondeful example of the breed. I knew it would be an uphill battle. Thankfully I and his owner Dee welcomed the challenge. As did his handler.

10. JulieM

JulieM Boxer Insane

Yeah, but I'm not entirely sure that the judges who excused cropped ears were doing so because of their own personal bias, or because they felt that was what the ABC wanted them to do. There was just an article in....some magazine, was it the Boxer Ring?...asking judges what they would do with an uncropped Boxer exhibit, and I believe one of the responses was that they would excuse it, as (their interpretation) required by the standard. Someone fairly recently had a conversation with a judge who said that the ABC requested them to excuse any uncropped Boxers (what they actually requested was that uncropped be considered a fault). So, I am interested to see if the judges claiming the ABC as their reason for excusal will consider uncropped exhibits equally, now that the ABC condones them....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.